Internet Explorer 8 Final Noon Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Source: Internet Explorer 8 Final

Microsoft made an announcement earlier today that the final version of Internet Explorer 8 will be released today at noon EDT. The web browser can be downloaded from that time on from the official Internet Explorer 8 website in 25 language editions. Currently only the download of Internet Explorer 8 RC1 is offered on that homepage which might confuse a few early birds.
Internet Explorer 8 is Microsoft's attempt at winning back market shares from popular web browsers and especially Mozilla Firefox. Microsoft has added several new and improved security features to Internet Explorer 8 like the private browsing mode, automatic crash recovery, domain highlighting or Cross Site Scripting (XSS) and SmartScreen filters. There are also additional usability features like Accelerators or Web Slices which have been implemented into Internet Explorer 8. Most of these features have already been ported by Firefox users to the Firefox web browser.
Companies with strict security guidelines (that do not allow the installation of Firefox or Firefox add-ons) will increase the security and stability of their computer systems with the new browser. Most performance tests on the other hand see Internet Explorer 8 on the end of the list. Internet Explorer 8 does however provide major performance improvements over previous versions of the web browser like Internet Explorer 7 or 8.
There are no information available at this point if Microsoft will add Internet Explorer 8 to Windows or Microsoft Update and provide the web browser as an automatic update to Windows users.

I got it installed now as well. Not much different than the RC Version. Of course only been running it for 5 minutes.

Of course my site isnt compat. All the tags I'm usings are not working as of yet in IE8, but do work in compat mode.

Dont feel bad there are many sites that are not working now. With this release being out of no where everyone has to play catch up now.

I am upset though....

I had nothing but Beta browsers. Now they go final and i have a final release on there. :( Breaks my chain.

Opera 10, Firefox 3.1 Beta 3, Safari 4, Chrome 2, and now IE8 Final....:p

You guys just brought this release up with a random person by the water cooler/coffee maker today didn't you.... admit it!! lol
it's just a browser ...

I really don't think "everyone is going to play catch up" on a browser that is going to be released with an OS that isn't even out officially yet. As sad as it is, some thin apps still work only with ie6 sp2 ... and most "slackers" are still trying to crank up their efforts to ie7.

I know what you mean here Mak... it's just posted in a humorous way... as if to say "EVERYONE PANIC"

With this release being out of no where everyone has to play catch up now.

I know what you mean here Mak... you just kinda made it "sound" like...people are somewhat "rushing" to get their sites compatible with ie8... :p :)

EDIT: On a side note, I'm not really excited about IE8 being released today for reasons or means of actually using it on a regular basis... yea, it's got a few things that I like .. but, whatever.
I'm actually REALLY happy that I get to call a vendor of ours out in CA at noon their time and say "Congrats!!! Your thin app is now OFFICIALLY running on a browser that is 2 versions behind!!!" And then continue to see us write patches for it...

I do notice some minor issues. When opening new tabs, it just sits there connecting, etc etc. As soon as you close IE 8 and re-open it's fine.

Yes we brought it up at the Mod Water Cooler and decided to start a topic and rave about it. You were more than welcome to join but you walked away in disgust. Was it something i said? :p

What i meant by catch up really was that the new features for Accelorators and Slices are a great new addition which can be put to get use, if done right.

There are still many sites still trying to get coded for IE7 let alone IE8. IF they do even bother. But at this time IE8 is not mandatory. But you know as well as me how fast that will change. IE8 will be pusehed via WU to all XP/Vista users in 6 months time as a Mandatory (Critical) update.

But meh. It is decent. I notice the Tab thing as well. I notice several issues which i have already reported.

Leave it to microsoft to release something and call it a "finished product" when it doesn't even work.

Ever hear Mozilla say "Here's a new firefox! Oh but wait, it's not going to work with most of the internet for a few months..."

It works just fine. Some sites are broken in it yeah. But i can find just as many broken in Firefox. Even their final versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom