Installing Win Xp and power outage. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Installing Win Xp and power outage.

I don't know if this has happened to any one before but anyways, I was installing win Xp to my new pc and the power went out. I was about 1/4 of the way done installing it when it happened. Now when I turn my pc on it says Error Loading Operating System. I tried microsoft's website and I never got an answer from them I just got some mumbo jumbo that had nothing to do with an answer to my problem. Is there a way to reformat the hardrive from the PC set up menu? I tried to boot from the CD and that didn't work. Oh and by the way my new pc has a 64 bit proccesor does that make a difference? Well any info would be great. Thanks!

Old 09-23-2004, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Installing Win Xp and power outage.

Quote:
Originally posted by PC_Penguin
I don't know if this has happened to any one before but anyways, I was installing win Xp to my new pc and the power went out. I was about 1/4 of the way done installing it when it happened. Now when I turn my pc on it says Error Loading Operating System. I tried microsoft's website and I never got an answer from them I just got some mumbo jumbo that had nothing to do with an answer to my problem. Is there a way to reformat the hardrive from the PC set up menu? I tried to boot from the CD and that didn't work. Oh and by the way my new pc has a 64 bit proccesor does that make a difference? Well any info would be great. Thanks!
If you can't boot from your cd, and I take it that you did before. that needs to be addressed. so check out your bios first.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No I did not boot from the cd before. This is a new Pc that just came in yesterday. I was installing it for the first time and with a windows xp package I had bought some time ago. Is there a way to re-format the hard drive from the setup menu?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by PC_Penguin
No I did not boot from the cd before. This is a new Pc that just came in yesterday. I was installing it for the first time and with a windows xp package I had bought some time ago. Is there a way to re-format the hard drive from the setup menu?
You cannot format from the bios setup. Set your boot order in bios to cd first. xp will partition and format.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes I think I got it. Thanks for your help.
Closed Thread