Installing one XP disc on two computers - legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ EndurancE

In Runtime
Hey all,

I've been using a 2002 copy of Windows XP Home Ed for about a year now (it came with my pc when I bought it used from a friend). I've recently restored an old computer, and would like to load the SAME copy of XP onto it, as I'm NOT going to pay $200 for another copy. (The old computer is made from junk parts that I got free, LOL!)

But can this get me in trouble? I don't want to do anything illegal, or have Microsoft lock down my computer for trying to do multiple installs of one disc. (Might sound dumb, but can they do that???)

No one else but me will be using the second computer, and I probably will NEVER use it simultaneously with my main computer. And it probably won't even be online!

What are your thoughts on all this?

Well let me start off by saying that installing one copy of XP on two separate computers is definately a breach of the Microsoft Copyright laws, and yes is against the law not to mension unethical in my eyes.

With that said, no i don't feel that Microsoft will come knocking on your door either. The best method to go about this is to copy any old files you want from the old computer onto a flash drive or CD, then wipe the drive with something like bootnuke.

Then install the OS on the new PC, and validate the install.

FYI i don't believe you can purchase XP disks soon even if you wanted to. They will discontinue selling them shortly.

Hello,

This is in violation of the TOS and EULA of Windows. According to them you can only have 1 copy of Windows installed with any given serial at any time. If and only if you remove the origianl copy from the PC that it is currently on can you reinstall it to another PC.

That is the terms of Windows.

Without a doubt this situation isnt good. As it can be done. But should not be done as it is in violation of the TOS and EULA.

Cheers,
Mak

You should move the installation to the newer computer, and like Lex said, wipe the older one. If you still wanted to use the older one, you could put Linux on it and experiment with that =).

The installation was already on my newer computer first -- I'm just wanting to install again on the older computer, just for the sake of having another computer. (The "new" computer is my primary one, very fast. The "old" one is the one I just made from junk parts.) ;)

But it sounds like I probably shouldn't do that. I have an old copy of Windows 98, but no serial key, rats!

I'll see if I can figure out how to run my bootable Fedora Project 8 DVD-ROM! :rolleyes:

If the computer that you scrapped together happens to have an XP COA sticker with a product key code somewhere on the case, then you could legally install it and use that code. If not, then you're out of luck.

If you don't want to shell out the cash, then use your Fedora disk or try Ubuntu.

If the computer that you scrapped together happens to have an XP COA sticker with a product key code somewhere on the case, then you could legally install it and use that code. If not, then you're out of luck.

If you don't want to shell out the cash, then use your Fedora disk or try Ubuntu.

What he said is true. If you have an XP COA sticker and code for this new scrap computer, then you can use any matching disc for installation (retail disc if it is a retail COA code, or OEM disc for an OEM code/machine).

install it. activate it. if it go through you fine. if it doesn't call me ms. act like you have some sense when you talk to them (i.e. don't tell them the story that you just told us).

they will never blackist you if you have 1 copy of xp on 2 computers (even 5 computers). they blacklist you when it's on 500 or more computers

There's no XP COA sticker on either of my cases actually -- they were both made before XP even came out. :freak: But that's okay. I'll read up on Ubuntu, which I knew nothing of until forrestcupp mentioned it. ;) And I see Fedora just came out with version 9 of their project, so might give that a try.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom