I need help formatting my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryd3r x

Baseband Member
I go to
start > run > then i type in format c:

and it says are you sure you want to do this? I type in Y for yes and then it says:

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?

What does this mean? Thanks.

P.S.
I am formatting because I got a trojan virus. Could this message be because of the trojan virus?

You cant do this while in windows. You have to boot from a cd or floppy to format. What OS do you have WinXP? You have the CD?

restart your computer, press F2 or F11, select boot from CD, and insert your windows installation cd, or borrow one.

I have windows XP and I have the disc.

I insert the disc and it says press any key to boot from disc. I pushed any key and it asks me if I want to install windows XP or repair it. If I install it won't it just install a new verison OVER the existing one? So wouldn't the virus still be there? Should I just use killdisk? I don't have a floppy drive on my computer so cna I use killdisk on a cd or can I use it on a usb memory stick?

Naw, if you choose to install it, then it goes to the next selection of partition to install it on. Once there, you can delete that partition and then choose to format the drive and create a new partition for Windows to be installed on.

Tip: Be sure to choose the format for NTSF but NOT the "quick format" option

Techguru75 said:
Naw, if you choose to install it, then it goes to the next selection of partition to install it on. Once there, you can delete that partition and then choose to format the drive and create a new partition for Windows to be installed on.

Tip: Be sure to choose the format for NTSF but NOT the "quick format" option
Oh, ok.

Thank you.

You can use just the XP CD just fine, I've done it hundreds of times. If you click install, not repair, and go through the stuff, when it gets to the point of asking you what partition to install on, you can reformat the C drive from there, or just delete the partition and create a new one in it's place and format that. Then you can just choose that partition and continue a fresh Windows install.

ok, my HP laptop came with a windows XP CD, but my HP desktop did not come with a XP cd. They are both XP home edition. Can I use my laptop XP CD on my desktop?

if your hp desktop didn't come with a cd, it might be on the hard drive already. all you have to do is press F10 while booting and it will reformat and install xp again right from the hard drive.

check your manual though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom