HP Scanjet 4400c & Windows 7

aimo3

In Runtime
I replace a Win XP PC for a user with a new Win 7 64-bit PC. I did not find a driver of the scanner for the new OS. I installed the XP driver, but it did not installed successfully. I tried the Add Legacy Hardware on the Action menu in devmgmt.msc but it didn't work.

Any possible solution?

If there is no driver on the HP site for Win7 for that device, it is time to give it up and buy a new one. There is no way to force old hardware to work with Windows 7 without proper drivers, and no the XP drivers will not work.

If you have Win7 Pro, you can download and install XP Mode from MS and see if you can get it to work in a virtual XP environment.

Try and contact HP and ask them if they have a compatible alternative windows vista/7 default driver
I used to work for HP's scanner/MFP/Fax/Printer team and we used to have alternative drivers that would give basic functionality
eg installing the basic driver for a different model that would give you basic scan abilities
or workarounds using network drivers and connecting the device to a router etc.

But I have to be honest, besides the option of setting it up in a virtual environment or connecting it to an XP machine and setting it to be shared
I just don't think this device will work in a vista/7/8 environment
You had a chance of this working if they had released a vista driver, but the fact that the XP driver was the last one to be released just shows how dated the device is.

See these links
Vista support - HP Scanjet 4400c Scanner series*-* HP Scanjet - Scanner support in Windows Vista - c01296655 - HP Business Support Center

Windows 7 support - HP Scanjet 4400c Scanner series*-* HP Scanjets - Products not supported in Windows 7 - c03403550 - HP Business Support Center

You could try running the driver install in compatibility mode, I doubt it will work but it's worth a try

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom