How to keep WinXP really fast & stable. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2005, 05:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,258
Default

This isn't a bad thing, but you all should remember. The more stuff you install on a system to try to keep it "stable" the less it's likely to remain that way. Honestly, if you spend a few hours learning about how to configure and setup your operating system, (All that info is available online you know), you don't have to rely on others to do it for you and in the end will spend less time fixing any problem you can ever encounter. Don't be blinded by the ideas that the above will make it work better for you. it's not the case. Aside from antivirus and spyblockers, all the rest is just understand how to do it, and finding your own way.
Good luck.
__________________

Inaris is offline  
Old 05-31-2005, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Inaris
This isn't a bad thing, but you all should remember. The more stuff you install on a system to try to keep it "stable" the less it's likely to remain that way. Honestly, if you spend a few hours learning about how to configure and setup your operating system, (All that info is available online you know), you don't have to rely on others to do it for you and in the end will spend less time fixing any problem you can ever encounter. Don't be blinded by the ideas that the above will make it work better for you. it's not the case. Aside from antivirus and spyblockers, all the rest is just understand how to do it, and finding your own way.
Good luck.
Wow..
You are a HATER

you are alway knocking somebody's idea with your "you need to know how to configure it properly" Rhetoric. then you won't even answer their question.

I remember you try that once on a subject with me about norton 2003 ghost and you didn't know what the hell you were talking. you were telling me that I couldn't configure ghost properly when it was a known defect that ghost 2003 had

why are you here? Help somebody for once.

Quote:
Originally posted by Inaris
Honestly, if you spend a few hours learning about how to configure and setup your operating system, (All that info is available online you know)
Let's see..

I think that is what he just did.
Another thing. this topic seemed to have helped some people out

Stop H8ing
__________________

__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 05-31-2005, 07:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,258
Default

PM sent... as should be appropriate in all cases where you wish to discuss this..
Inaris is offline  
Old 05-31-2005, 08:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default

here is where I copied and paste the page file info, inaris. pc world and pc magazine said basically the same thing. now you tell all of the experts that they are wrong


__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 05-31-2005, 08:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
TMT
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 241
Default

Just thought I'd add that; where the page file is best on its own partition... It is still on the same physical drive, so it won't boost overall system performance that much. The key thing to do with your page file, if possible, is to situate it on its own partition on a separate physical drive.

TMT.
TMT is offline  
Old 05-31-2005, 08:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
TMT
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 241
Default

We must have posted around the same time, there ^. You just pointed it out my point, so that's all good!

TMT.
TMT is offline  
Old 05-31-2005, 08:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by TMT
Just thought I'd add that; where the page file is best on its own partition... It is still on the same physical drive, so it won't boost overall system performance that much. The key thing to do with your page file, if possible, is to situate it on its own partition on a separate physical drive.

TMT.
thank you
__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 05-31-2005, 09:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,487
Default

I don't think putting it on it's own partition really helps that much. I guess it could but it will actually hurt you if you don't put it on the first partition on the drive. Most important thing it to have the page file on the first level of your hd.
__________________
<font size=\"1\">Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHZ HT-------------------AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester
Intel Stock CPU Cooler------------------------Zalman 7700-Cu
Idle: 51C---------------------------------------Idle: 21C
Load: 72C--------------------------------------Load: 28C
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe-----------------------GIGABYTE K8NF4-9 NForce4 4X
512MBX2 Corsair XMS 2-2-2-5 PC-3200-----512MBX2 Corsair XMS 2-2-2-5 PC-3200
ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition-------ATI RADEON X800 XL
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS----------Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Western Digital Raptor 37GB 10K------------2X Western Digital SATA150 Caviar SE 80GB RAID 0
Antec True 480W------------------------------Thermaltake Silent PurePower 680W
Zalman 5.1 Headphones----------------------Zalman 5.1 Headphones
Zalman High Sensitivity Microphone----------Zalman High Sensitivity Microphone
Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A----------Logitech Media Keyboard
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0A---------Logitech MX510
3DMark05: 5,928------------------------------3DMark05: 5,000</font>
dale5605 is offline  
Old 06-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by derrmc
when i go to move my documents to another partition drive, it asks me if i want to move system file "desktop". do i?
Now I know what you are talking about. I installed a os on acomputer yesterday. today I Changed the documents folder and it came up.

you have "hide protected operateng system files" in folder view unchecked.
now you can check it, then move the document folder, then uncheck it again, if you are not sure what to do
__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 06-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 808
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
Now I know what you are talking about. I installed a os on acomputer yesterday. today I Changed the documents folder and it came up.

you have "hide protected operateng system files" in folder view unchecked.
now you can check it, then move the document folder, then uncheck it again, if you are not sure what to do
yes, that will work. exelent!

thanks
__________________

derrmc is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.