HELP. On Vista, won't recognize Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazlunatic

In Runtime
This was what I tried to do. I had XP installed on my H Drive. It's a 320 GB, so on the SAME Drive, I made a 20GB partition for Vista. Next, I put in the Vista CD and installed Vista.

What happened was the screen turned black at the last stage. So I played cards and in 30 minutes, the computer reboot itself, it told me my Slave Master had an error (I don't know how you can have a slave master). Anyway, I pressed F1 to Resume like it says, and I was required to install Vista again.

After I did that, I am now on Vista, but it won't recognize my XP and I KEEP on getting that error. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

probably messed up your master boot sector....

hope you have a backup....

Is the data from your xp drive still there? if so you can try to modify the boot.ini file to get it to see xp again. I am guessing that vista set its partition to be active as well, and you can't have two active partitions on the same drive. (or maybe active isn't the correct word, might be primary). anyway you can run FDisk and view the partitions, or if you don't have that, you can use the Disk Management in admin tools. make sure you only have one system (they mark system next to the drive in Disk Management) partition.

Note: all these comments deal with XP Pro, so they might be slightly different in vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom