help with ultrabad reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you really asking for a sp2 disc or the 2nd disc that comes with media center that it ask for during the install?

I have 2/2 windows xp pro (MCE) disks. I just reformatted both my HDD's now and am half way through the process of installing it when again it is asking for the disk with SP2 on it!!!! I thought it wouldn't ask for this and I could update from the site! I have already downloaded sp2 as an exe file. i can hit cancel at the install and i can still get into windows however theres no internet explorer, help and support gives me an error.

would walmart have an sp2 disk without me having to buy xp MCE (pro) again if i cant get this machine up. i cannot believe it's going this bad.

No WalMart wont have it. There is no reason why the installer should be asking for SP2. That means that who ever created those discs did such a bad job that they included the file for SP2 but never included the rest of the data.

There is no reason what so ever that you should get a request for SP2.

Get a real version of XP. The ones you are using are clearly bad hack jobs.

The CDs I have are from Computer Outlet in January of this year. They have the plastic casing, CD key in the inside, and the genuine holographic emblems on the cd's themselves. Is this an issue then I should take up with them, I have 100% legit software. Microsoft created these disks. I do have another CD that came with the 2, its updates for mce 2005 however it won't take during the boot process.

I know if i hit cancel at the installation i can still get into windows after however things arent fully working. I'll try to run that sp2.exe installer and the updates disk. I can't believe I am getting this error - makes me want to investigate if comp. outlet was doing anything wrong. However I can assure you it's a legit copy.

Computer Outlet is fine

you have either bad ram, a scratched cd, or your cd rom drive is just cheap (I think that it this one).

your install went through fast because it didn't read all of the files correctly. it keeps asking you for you windows xp sp2 disc that you already have in there (mce is xp pro sp2) because it's not reading it correctly. it eventually will come out looking like a version of tiny xp on crack.

run memtest86 for 10 - 15 minutes to rule out your ram. you can look for scratches on your disc. finally, you probably just need to use a different cd/dvd rom drive. it sound like that this one is the issue. they are making rom drives cheaper and cheaper these days. sometimes when I run into this issue installing xp on people's new computer, I just go grab a hundred year old drive (at least a 40x speed though so it won't hold back the install) and use it to install windows instead

OK - I got past the needing of the sp2 disk and still have no idea why a fresh install of 2/2 legit disks would ask for it. None the less I used some files off an xp download and and a few seconds later it was asking for cd1 with wmSomething.exe and I was done installing minutes later.

Question - I am now in windows and need to connect to the internet. I has been a long while since I've set it up. Is there an easy way to get internet working through internet explorer and start getting updates?

OK - I got past the needing of the sp2 disk and still have no idea why a fresh install of 2/2 legit disks would ask for it. None the less I used some files off an xp download and and a few seconds later it was asking for cd1 with wmSomething.exe and I was done installing minutes later.

Question - I am now in windows and need to connect to the internet. I has been a long while since I've set it up. Is there an easy way to get internet working through internet explorer and start getting updates?

well I see that you miss my last post, since I explained on why it did that

gotcha, yea missed :p

Everything is back up and running smoothly. I get no BSOD's or errors. All the weathering on my registry is a thing of the past. I had a backup HDD which stored gigs of my media and as a last slap in the face before I got this whole reinstall with faulty cd errors resolved, my backup drive is corrupt and cannot be read.

I NOW HATE COMPUTERS, ****. :/

gotcha, yea missed :p

Everything is back up and running smoothly. I get no BSOD's or errors. All the weathering on my registry is a thing of the past. I had a backup HDD which stored gigs of my media and as a last slap in the face before I got this whole reinstall with faulty cd errors resolved, my backup drive is corrupt and cannot be read.

I NOW HATE COMPUTERS, ****. :/

usb hdd or regular hdd?

try spinrite to recover. it's funny I just had 2 posts about it

GRC*|*Hard drive data recovery software**

for future reference when installing XP

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-keep-winxp-really-fast-stable-156582/

Do you know that you can integrate those 2 media center discs into one dvd discwith nlite? I don't even know where my original mce discs are. I do have my dvd backup on the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom