Help Installing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thelorax121

Solid State Member
I have just finished building my first computer, but im hung up on installing windows XP. My dad has Windows XP Office Professional, but when I try to boot from it, it sounds like it is reading the disk, but after a while it reads:

PXE-E61: MEDIA TEST FAILURE

DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

After the PXE message, it also say i need to check a cable but I dont know what that means. Does anyone know why this isnt working? Can you not boot from Windows XP Office? The package my dad has(got it through the "home use" program) is two cds, one that just say Microsoft office, and another that says media content, so I may not have all of windows...just a thought. Thanks for any help!

This issue is often caused by either an incorrect setting in BIOS or a bad boot device, such as a bad hard disk drive.

erm.. first of all, is it windows xp or office xp?

if your booting from Office XP, of course it won't boot, because you need WINDOWS xp cd to install.. Try see which key to press to go to bios setup, and set it to boot from CDROM first, then try inserting a bootable Windows XP disc into the CDROM drive..

EDIT: wait, sorry i didn't see correctly, you said, " The package my dad has(got it through the "home use" program) is two cds, one that just say Microsoft office, and another that says media content"... Where do you see windows in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom