Help. Help. This one is difficult. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2003, 03:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Help. Help. This one is difficult.

Hi, recently installed XP Pro in a new built machine. Ahtlon 2600+, Asus A7N8X-Deluxe MB, 768MBRam, 120GBHD, Radeon 9200Se, etc. After few other software installation, and started to receive email, something happened, some virus just got in. I don't know how, since I use extra care, never opening attachments, etc.

This installation has Internet access via cable modem, and I was using a DLINK DI514 router, has firewall, etc. I needed to change for a LinkSys, since the Dlink never worked ok with wireless to the other side of the house (just 3 walls in the middle). Linksys demonstrated better performance, but Linksys has no firewall, so that could let some open for the virus.

The thing happens when the machine goes without activity for 10 or 15 minutes, when the XP asks user password to reenters operation.

The error message shows by AVR virus alert, showing some virus at c:\system information...\_restore{xxxxx\rp5\a0033524.exe.

Running AVG several times never get it, since that area is protected. I couldn't go into even booting in Safe mode, not even Safe in command only.

Well, reading around, I found out that to get rid of the restore files, and obviously from the virus, you just need to stop the system restore function, and activate it back on, files are erased.

The problem, is that I CAN NOT get into the Restore window. Right clicking "My Computer", selecting SYSTEM RESTORE, it gaves me an error message saying;

Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. It never allow me to stop System Restore, can't get rid of the virus, in resume, I am screwed up.

What to do?

Thank you a bunch, I am getting crazy here.

Old 12-13-2003, 07:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via ICQ to RoyalW Send a message via AIM to RoyalW Send a message via Yahoo to RoyalW

Have you tried deactivating system restore in safe-mode?
If you have try booting safe-mode and end explorer.exe on the processes tab from the task manager.
Press "new task" button from the general tab and type "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe"

If none of the above get pass the dll error then I am stumpped.
Last time I got it I formatted/Reinstalled hehe

Windows XP Pro 2002 (SP2)

Intel Northwood 2.4GHz
Compaq Evo D510 SFF
768MB DDR PC2100
Intel 82801 (AC\'97)
C: 40GB (FAT32)
Old 12-13-2003, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Try scanning with a different AV program...
Perhaps if you could come up with the name of the virus, someone could help. . .
Old 12-13-2003, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Problem Solved!

I could not gain access to System Restore screen in any way, safe mode doesn't work either.

The solution was to reinstal the System Restore whole utility.
This was quite easy.

Right click the SR.INF icone
Left click INSTALL

It asks for the XP-PRO CD, for a specific file, I found it (if memory serves) at the INF subdirector.

Few seconds later... badabim.
System Restore working.
Then, could stop it, all files gone, start it again, no more virus.

Thank you.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Turn off system restore then do a complete scan as it may be in volume.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via ICQ to RoyalW Send a message via AIM to RoyalW Send a message via Yahoo to RoyalW

Good to hear you solved your problem chrispeterson.
I will try to remember that fix

Closed Thread

« flash.osx | spybot »