hard drive and ram not showing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonmaestro

Solid State Member
hERE is me issue.

I have 2 sticks of 512mb ram in my mother board and 2 hard drives. one is a 250 and one is 500gb. one of the sticks of the ram is not showing up in windows and the 500gb drive is not showing in windoes eather. how ever the bios is seeing them and the program cpuz is showing everything too.. so i am lost. i am running windows xp pro and sp3.

thanks

They must be showing in Windows if CPU-Z can see them, since it gets the info from Windows.

If you can't see a hard drive then go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management
Is the 500GB drive there?

As for the RAM, press press windows key+pause/break; how much RAM does it say you have?

okay it says unallocated. but still not showing in my computer....

and as far as the ram it says 512. how ever i removed one stick and it said 256mb but both sticks of ram says on them 512.... so i am lost....

You need to format the drive/assign a drive letter to the HDD in Disk Management in order for it to show up in My Computer.

Have you tried swapping the RAM in different slots to see if that makes a difference?

yea i have tryed that. it seems like its cutting my ram in half..

okay i got the hard drive figured out!

Well then the best i can suggest is to try and run MemTest86.

Memtest86 - Download Page

Download the ISO from there and burn it with ImgBurn.

Boot with the Cd in the tray and run the test. See if the RAM gives any errors. If so that could be why it is not showing up. Aside from that the next best thing would be to get a XP Disk from a friend that matches your install.

XP OEM Home if the install is form the manufacturer and is Home
XP Pro OEM if it is from the manufacturer and is Pro
XP Home Retail if it was from a disk that was not from the manufacturer and your XP is Home
XP Pro Retail if it was from a disk that was not from the manufacturer and your XP is Pro.

Then try the repair install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom