Hard drive boot trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkfire-1776

Beta member
Obviously I joined because I have a problem that I believe to be unique. And should it be solved, well then everybody can learn from it. Plus, I didn't find anything searching for this problem and I did't think I was going to find anything soon. Basically, I'm intermediately skilled and read forums quite often.

Here's my problem and I'll try to tell the story the best I can remember:
I have a 80gb harddrive on my laptop, running windows xp. NEW HARDDRIVE!

I installed EASEUS Partition Master, liked it and started changing drives, basically messing around with it which I wish I never did now. I created two Primary drives, for different OS's I thought I might put on each. I resized them, plus manipulated the logicals, etc. I pretty much tried everything with this program, to learn from it and see how it worked.

I decided to completely start over and rebuild the drive using the bootable EASEUS disk. I intended on putting 15 GB of the drive for Windows XP, the rest DATA.
First I deleted all the partitions untill there was only one unallocated file.
I rebooted computer (disk in drive of course) and began to create a drive, the program just hung there, wouldn't get past 5% of the process, if I remember correctly.

So, then I rebooted with my old trusty Windows 98 boot disk (with FDISK, FORMAT,etc already on it), I ran FDISK ...from there the process of checking the intregrity took place (which took a long time BTW) ... from there it asked if I wanted to use all of the drive or a smaller amount, I chose smaller and started to do the check of integrity all over again. I saw that this was simply wrong, since it was taking forever just to get to 1% (never happened like this before) so I shut it down and rebooted with the win98 floppy in.

Here's where I'm stuck, at the A:\>prompt (and C:\ ) I keep getting the message, "no fixed disk present", and I've tried this from, C:prompt and A:prompt. The bios was naming the drive and recognizing it in the bios during boot. Now in Bios it's Primary Master: None. Keep in mind I never broke into this new laptop .

Another thing I tried was booting with the EASEUS bootable CD I made. I did this twice. THe first time the drive letters came up as stars (*), no letters. NOw when I boot with this CD, I get absolutely nothing, no drive, no unallocated space and the program will let me do nothing.

As mentioned earlier: Now in Bios it's Primary Master: None. Keep in mind I never broke into this new laptop .

I don't know what to do now. Did I completely destroy this hard drive?

Nothing is coming up because the partitions are probably formatted or flagged in a format that isn't recognized by windows.

I would first try GParted as it is free and a grea partitioning / formatting tool. Use that to try and delete the current partitions. Then try to create two new partitions, both NTFS, one 15 gig and one 65 gig. After that pop in your XP CD and install that on the 15 gig drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom