Getting rid of xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilejames

Solid State Member
I recently decided to have a go at upgrading from 98 to XP but cancelled 1/2 way through. Now when I boot up my pc it asks me which os i want to use. Is there a way of getting rid of the xp link and whatever bits of xp may still be on my hd?

basically you what to finish the upgrade, and then uninstall it. It's not pretty to be honest, but the only realy way...

Good Luck

assuming XP doesn't work after you cancelled it, you'll need to reinstall. I suggest a format and if it's an upgrade CD just pop in your XP CD, start install, and pop in the 98 CD when it asks you for evidence of a previous OS

U can disable the link by making changes in the boot.ini file but this wont remove the files.
It sbetter to format and then to reinstall to remove the files.

vilejames said:
I recently decided to have a go at upgrading from 98 to XP but cancelled 1/2 way through. Now when I boot up my pc it asks me which os i want to use. Is there a way of getting rid of the xp link and whatever bits of xp may still be on my hd?

There is no such thing as to "uninstall" an OS upgrade; it will not be listed in your "Add/Remove Software" applet.

The best thing to do is edit your boot.ini file which will be located in your root drive C: . Delete only the line that references your XP installation. I would suggest copying and pasting the contents of the boot.ini file here - i can tell you which line you will need to delete.

Were you trying to create a dual-boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom