Gateway GT5220 and Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there are Vista drivers for it, you can probably use them until some 7 drivers are released. No guarantees though.

Please read the first page of the Windows 7 Thread and FAQ. You will see the link to the Upgrade Advisor which will flat out tell you if you will have issues with any software or hardware you are running.

Its not looking too good. I realize this computer is a few years old. But its a 64 bit dual core processor. I don't understand why it wouldn't work.

Argg...

What has the Advisor said? Does it list several pieces of hardware that are not compatible or just software?

It says I need to look into a custom install because I'm going from XP. On Gateway's site, there aren't any drivers available for my PC for Windows 7. Only about half are there for Vista (don't understand that) and none that are 64 bit.

Other than that it says Windows Aero won't work with my graphics. I have a Radeon x1600 PRO. Apparently that isn't supported.

Those were the only problems it found.

Well the first error should be known. As there is no upgrade from XP to Win7. That information was released back in July that you had to do a clean install of Win7 if you were using XP.

The GFX thing is big as that will limit the functionality. No Aero means no Aero Peak, Snap and so on. So you may have some big issues trying to go to win7 with what the Advisor reports.

Well that is good that ATi has a method to get older cards to work. But how do you know that nothing will work? How do you know that there isnt drivers for the stuff from Microsoft? The upgrade advisor would have told you if you needed to get drivers for specific pieces of hardware if they were not compatible. Jsut like it did for your video card.

Since no other errors were reported, it would be a safe bet that there is some sort of driver included or you would have seen more on the report. Jsut because Gateway doesnt have the drivers on their site doesnt automatically mean that nothing will work.

Granted you could come across some piece of software that you do need a driver for and that would have to be supplied by gateway. But again, the advisor would tell you this. That is what is was designed for.

Ok, I may give it a shot. I just don't think they'll accept a return if it's opened. But if you say it will work, I may try it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom