Ethernet Controller Missing Driver - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Content Team

Send a message via AIM to kkttt87 Send a message via Yahoo to kkttt87
Default Re: Ethernet Controller Missing Driver

Eh, looked at the XP and Vista drivers. They don't have the one for the chipset. If I could just get that chipset fixed up, I'm pretty sure I could redo the Ethernet Controller. Can't figure why it's not letting me run a simple .exe file?? If I knew how to do it, I'm almost at the point where just recovering to Vista would be better than the bungle I'm in now, much as I don't wanna mess with that screwy OS and all its issues. *__*

Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldkellum View Post
i was wondering if you click on the vista side those drivers would work with the xp version?
worth a try tho
it won't

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkttt87 View Post
I called 'em. They said they couldn't help me because I had the software on my laptop too. Shoulda lied and told 'em it was just on the one compy. (I gotta pay $140 for two copies of the same thing so I can have it on my desktop and notebook...?! I'll just stick to doing w/o SP2 and downloading that after install from now on. Bah.)
call them right back(it will be a different person) and tell them that you replaced your motherboard becuase your previous one broke.

you should install double driver to back those drivers up before you reinstalled xp

BooZet's Free Software Double Driver Overview

Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Content Team

Reinstalled XP Pro w/ SP2 and got the chipset stuff installed and the NIC driver (though now it's saying 'Device Won't Start'...???). I'm gonna call Microsoft again and see if I can't get the OS activated. Will also check out Double Driver.

One thing's for sure... I'm certainly getting a lot of spiffy programs out of this.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

tell ms that your computer messed up and you had to reinstall xp. dont mention the new computer

they will give you a activation code most likely
Old 05-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

they are holding off on releasing xp drivers for vista machines because they don't like people going back to xp
Old 05-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Content Team

Okay, got Windows activated without a hitch. Now I just need to figure why the Ethernet Controller is giving me this "Device Cannot Start" and I'll be in business. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, it's still having issues.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Content Team

Sorry... double-posting, but there was no 'edit' option. Just wanted to say thanks to all for the great help, I got the issue resolved. Completely removed the device from the PC and then rebooted. The computer seemed unable to see it after that because it was not there under Unknown Devices, but a 'Show Hidden Devices' revealed it under some weird category. Not sure why, but in any case, an update to the drivers allowed me to install the Realtek software. Everything runs great now.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

run DD. or you can run my old batch file for backing up drivers. it does a better job. it's here somewhere on the old forum part
Old 01-11-2008, 02:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi I have a quick question. I'm helping a friend de-Vistafy his HP (same model) and it sounds as though you got things worked out in the end, so I can try the same thing if I run into the same issue. My question though, was about where you got your drivers in the first place. I would assume the system came with a drivers disk but my friend said his just came with a disk for his monitor that came with it. I checked HP's site but obviously they're still just providing Vista drivers.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

check out my how to keep xp fast and stable guide at the top of the page. it shows you how to integrate all drivers except modems unto the xp disc

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how...stable-156582/

Closed Thread