The eternal question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can put 4 GB in the system, but it system will only recognize and use 3.5 GB of RAM, which includes whatever you have in your video card.

No, 32bit can support a maximum of 4GB, but no more.

The amount you have available is dictated by what hardware you have, and the way Windows uses the addressing space.

Not true. You can install 4 GB of RAM. But also have to remember that right off the bat Windows will remove 750MB of that for hardware addressing. Windows will show 3.25GB. As stated in the thread i posted a link to.

That also doesnt include your video card RAM which is also added into the total. So if you have 4GB of System RAM and a 1GB Video Card that makes 5GB that the system will have according to Windows.

Now you have to take off 1GB cause 32 Bit cant use it. Take off another 750MB for hardware addressing and you have your 3.25GB of RAM. Windows may report it as even less cause it could use more Video Memory than System Memory. So while you have 4GB installed Windows might report 2.75 GB or 3GB cause of the video card.

As that topic on 32 Bit vs 64 Bit says it is physically impossible for 32 Bit to utilize 4GB of Memory. It is a limit in the technology at the time which is why 64 Bit came along so that people who wanted more could use it.

Vista SP1 will report 4GB of RAM installed. But it still wont use it. The Task Manger will show yo a different amount of RAM being used than what is reported in the System Properties area.

Windows is different than Linux like that Calc. While Linux might be able to use all 4 GB cause it doesnt subtract the hardware addressing right off the bat. Windows does. That has to be taken into account.

Glad to help out. In all seriousness. If you can get Vista for that cheap, it will be worth it. AT least you will have a serial so that you can get a 64 Bit DVD and install that version instead to be able to use your RAM as you intend. ;)

Also let it be known that Windows 7 should be out sometime this year. So it could also be a possibility to wait till Win7 is released before you make that decision. There is no hard pressing features in Vista that makes it so much more important to upgrade to Vista before Win7 is released.

Alright, here's a question: once I buy the 32 bit Vista for crack-prices cheap, how do I get the 64 bit? Can I download it somewhere?

There are places you can download a 64 Bit version. But we cant talk about that here.

Oh I get you *nudge nudge wink wink*.

My one final question would be - once I have 32 bit Vista up and running and I finally acquire my precious 64 bit (by whatever means), do I just simply install the new 64 bit OS and the uninstall the 32 bit? I'm a bit new to installing OSes, Vista in my new computer will be my first.

I'm happy with a redirect if you feel like this has been covered before, thanks though!

You will have to format and reinstall. Cant upgrade from 32 Bit to 64 Bit. So it would require a full reinstall of Vista. There are plenty of guides out there about this stuff. APCMag has quite a few as well.

But basically you would format the drive, then install Vista.

Installing Windows Vista - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom