The eternal question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kershner

Baseband Member
I'm sure you guys get this all the time, and for that I apologize...it will be quick!

I can purchase Windows Vista Ultimate for $20 from a friend's college, however it is only 32-bit.

I am buying 4 gigs of ram for my new computer, is there a way for it all to be recognized? Again, I apologize for the question, I am aware of how nooby it is. Thanks guys.

The real kicker is that I think I can actually grab a copy for $5 =)

Anyone? Haha I was thinking this would be a super easy/quick answer from someone in the know.

What about using Vista's ReadyBoost to use a Flash drive as extra ram?

But Mak is right, a 32 bit system can only recognize 3.5 which includes video.

To accurately use ReadyBoost you need DOUBLE the amount of RAM currently installed to even gain any benefit from it. So if you have 4GB of RAM you need a 8GB flash drive to even get a gain.

Not to mention that a system with 2GB or more wont get any gain from ReadyBoost.

If I'm not mistaken, however, your 32-bit license is valid for a 64 bit edition as well. If you can acquire a 64 bit installation disc through other means, you should still be able to use your CD key that you bought and legally activate a 64 bit copy. When you buy a copy of Windows, you're really buying the license (CD-Key) so you can use that key with whatever discs it will work with legally.

Yes that is correct Calc. Vista and Win7 serials are universal. They can be used on 32 Bit or 64 Bit versions as long as they are the same version. Meaning Home Basic, Home Premium, Business or Ultimate.

It is a real simple question to answer. So simple that it is in the topic with the big READ FIRST title.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/difference-between-32-bit-x86-64-bit-x64-171390/#post1349279

It is physically IMPOSSIBLE to have 32 Bit recognize 4GB of RAM. It is a limitation of the code. A search could have answered this as well. ;)

No, 32bit can support a maximum of 4GB, but no more.

The amount you have available is dictated by what hardware you have, and the way Windows uses the addressing space.

So, once I buy this Vista Ultimate, I'll be able to use the same serial for Windows 7 once it comes out? Just download a copy and use my serial? If I'm paying for the license that means it isn't piracy, correct? That seems weird, like it works out too well in the consumer's favor for it to be legit heh.

And in response to the person right above me...so I CAN use 4gb with 32-bit Vista? The one dude just said '**** NO you can't', and you're saying that I can...can I get some clarification?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom