The easiest way to get drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderX91

Baseband Member
I seem to have serious issues with everything I do on this laptop. Its a sony vaio and it came with the preinstalled software "vaio update" which is supposed to download all of my drivers for me, well the decided to de-commision the software. So, now if i manually download drivers they never install right, after they are done a window pops up and says the driver wasn't installed correctly, how can i get the right updates easily and ensure they are installed?!?!?!:cool:

Make sure you have the correct operating system selected, correct make and model, etc. That's just about all you can do.

Did you reinstall the OS?

I'm not really fond of software that downloads drivers, etc. IBM has the same thing and it's flakey, manual is the way to go. Also make sure they aren't already on the drive somewhere under c:\

i did it as best as i could, i will download a driveer right now and tell you exactly what happens: went to Intel.com -> went through all the b.s. got to my chipset -> download driver -> and then i get a window "the driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the the appropraite driver from the computer's manufacturer". yet this is clearly the same thing.

The question you need to be asking is if you need the driver updates. If you go into the device manager and double click on a item then click the driver tab you will see it lists a date of the driver right there.

driverdate.png

I have highlighted it in this screen shot.

Now if you are going to the sites and checking for a updated driver there are 2 things to think about.

1. Is there a newer driver available?
2. Is the update that is available something that i need?

The reason i say is it something that you need as the driver you have installed now may be functioning properly and the update is for some strange reason that you never experienced. So check the changelogs. They are always available. They will tell you what was changed from the version you have to the version available.

It is at that point that you have to decide if the update is of the upmost importance to install. If it fixes something that doesnt apply to you or isnt fully necessary then you dont have to update the driver.

If you do find that the driver is needed, then download it and install it. If it doesnt install then there is of course a issue. From what i have read you are just updating drivers cause you think that there is always a need to. Which isnt always the case. For a modem driver, something that most people dont use now with broadband connections, a modem update isnt necessary. Something like a chipset driver i can understand. AS that allows the OS to work more efficiently with the mother board.

But you have to determine if the update is really needed. If the system is fully functional as it is, as the old saying goes "If it ain't broken, don't fix it".

Well what drivers would you recommend i should for music and moderate gaming, AND i can't get them to work properly when d/l from sony.

Well you can get many programs that tell you what devices are in your system.

Belarc Advisor, Everest, maybe even CPUz. Heck Start>run>dxdiag will tell you the sound card.

Then go to google or Bing and search for that make and model and get it direct from their site. Video drivers are easy. Just use CPUz to get the video device. Even dxdiag will tell you. Get the make and model. Do as stated above.

If getting them from the manufacturer site, Bot Sony, doesnt allow you to install the drivers, you have more serious issues with your system.

I no I have alot of issues with this lol. My computer still randomly freezes when right clicking, i can't play purchased music or music videos, i'm about ready to say screw this and do hard boot of my computer. How can I do that without removing the OS and without a OS disk, i just want to do that....I can't take this anymore lol

There is no way without formatting and without the install media. You may get lucky and have the Recovery Partition, but that would take you back to factory settings. So you would still lose your personal data if you dont back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom