DVD Fab uses too much cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog707

Baseband Member
I use the DVD Fab program to convert DVD's to MPEG 4 to play on my iPod. During the conversion process it uses practically all of my cpu & I have DMA enabled. Isnt DMA supposed to cut down on cpu usage? I have 8 gigs of memory.

Hello,

Having 8GB of Memory will not help in this matter. Video conversion is mainly a CPU task. So unless you have a quad core CPU this is normal.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

This could just be due to DVDFab not being optimized to run on the system you have or the OS you are using. I would wager to guess that it is Vista 64 Bit.

But from what i know DVDFab is not a SMP application which is not setup to utilize the multicore CPU. So it would spike usage on a single core of your 4. Plus add onto that the DVDFab is not optimized to run on Vista 64 Bit compunds the issue.

I am not so sure about hte Vista 64 Bit part. But i do know that DVDFab is not a SMP app to utilize the multicores.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

Not a problem. I dont know if that explains your situation or not. But when it comes to CPU intensive apps if they are not SMP (Symetrical Multi Process) apps they will not utilize the multi cores of your CPU. They will jsut max out 1 of the 4 to do the process.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom