Duplicate PnP Enumerators causing sound issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

genistas

Baseband Member
I have a Lenovo laptop here running XP Pro SP3. It's used for sound editing and therefore has two sound devices, the onboard (Realtek HD) and a USB Interface.

The other day Windows stopped recognizing these devices, although they were both correctly installed in device manager. I did some research and found that my Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator was missing. I reinstalled it using the "remove line 20 from machine.inf, update driver, browse to machine.inf" method. This worked and my PnP Enumerator was restored, but still no sound.

I restarted the computer to find two instances of the PnP Enumerator, and the Microsoft Audio Kernel Splitter reporting:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)

I tried to uninstall one of the enumerators, but both had the unistall option grey-out. I tried again in safe mode to no avail.

I think that if I could get rid of one of those enumerators it might be happy again. Any suggestions on how to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom