Downgrading from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I was wondering if its a smart idea to downgrade Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows XP. What are the pros and cons to it?

Also my computer is 64-bit but with only 2gb of ram. I heard that 32-bit processors have a maximum of 2gb of ram.

Will downgrading to a 32bit processor with a 64-bit system have any problems? What are some advantages of the 64-bit processors with the 64-bit softwares?

Are there any particular reason why you want to downgrade from Vista to XP?

32 bit OS has a limitation of 3.5 total gigs of RAM, 64 bit processors have like a 300 gig limitation.

Unless there is a particular reason why you want to move backwards to XP, I would suggest sticking with Vista.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/difference-between-32-bit-x86-64-bit-x64-171390/#post1349279

Please check the stickies.

And agreed with Lex, I'd suggest just sticking with Vista...it's not bad at all, and has really improved since SP1 was released for it. I'm running it right now on the laptop that I'm using,and it performs wonderfully.

And I think you mean "32bit operating systems" have a limit of 3.5GB, not processors. The processor has to be 64bit compatible to be able to run a 64bit OS/programs, whereas a 32bit CPU can only run a 32bit OS.

i just want to be able to have a super fast comptuer with my laptop specs. My computer boots up pretty slow and shuts down pretty slow.

With startup and shutdown speeds you should be looking at what PROGRAMS are running in the background, NOT the OS. Generally speaking as long as you meet the requirements for an OS the startup and shutdown speeds should be pretty quick. With the specs in your signature your computer should be relatively fast at startup and shutdown.

Which means you should be focusing your attention on the programs that are running, not the OS.

yeah... with your specs, there should really be no difference in boot times from xp to vista.. i'd recommend turning all the crap i'm sure is on there when you boot up and it will make loads of difference.

if you want a faster computer downgrade to xp. make sure that you have the drivers. if you want a prettier computer stick with vista. vista is a little better with sp1 but it's still isn't as fast as xp. I downgrade hundred of computers to xp for people and everyone of them will tell that it's faster

if you want a faster computer downgrade to xp. make sure that you have the drivers. if you want a prettier computer stick with vista. vista is a little better with sp1 but it's still isn't as fast as xp. I downgrade hundred of computers to xp for people and everyone of them will tell that it's faster

False, Vista performs faster on capable hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom