Disk Defragmentors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
Is the defragmenting tool that comes with vista any good and if it isn't why isn't it any good, also which ones are better and why are they better? Also are there any free ones whcih are better than the windows one and if not what ones do you recomend and how would they cost in real money (pound stirling £££££) not monopoly money (dollors $$$$$):cool::p

How is this better than the defrager in windows, apart from the fact it shows you what it is doing which the defrager in vista doesn't.

Well, Defraggler is more in depth. Where Vista would say your drive is fine, defraggler would show you ANY fragments. Vista would think that a certain number of fragments is fine, while defraggler will show you all of them.

The upshot to the Vista defrag is it generally runs in the background if it feels it needs to. Me personally, I like to use Defraggler once every couple weeks, or a month. But the Vista one works fine. It's a matter of preference.

So if your hhd is getting really bad then the windows defrager will run of it's own free will to sort your drive out.

But after looking at the defragger running I will use that from now on.

Unless you are running a FAT16/FAT32 file system then all you achieve by regular defragging is wearing out your hard drive quicker, it puts a big strain on it which regular normal use does not.

NTFS systems do not slow down significantly unless they are incredibly fragmented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom