Currently on windows xp. Want to get dx10 and have vista 32bit key. Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
I really want the performance boost in dx10 games, but i've heard that 32 bit vista is going to soon become obsolete to 64 bit. Also, if I upgrade will current or near future games benefit from having more than 2 gigs of ram? I'm going to buy 2 more gigs if so, and i'm aware that I won't be able to use the full 4 gigs on the 32bit system, but ~3.2 gigs ram should be sufficient I would think. Other than the memory issue, how else will 64bit be better than 32 bit for gaming? How does xp compare to vista 32bit in terms of playing team fortress 2 and Call of Duty: WAW? I don't want to sacrifice any frames in either game, so this will also heavily dictate the issue.

Re: Currently on windows xp. Want to get dx10 and have vista 32bit key. Is it worth i

vista is worse in game than xp and that's a fact that you'll have to live with as xp will soon become obsolete as well. and the 32bit will limit you to 3.25gb of ram generally but you'll be fine if you're just gonna wait until windows 7 or so.

Re: Currently on windows xp. Want to get dx10 and have vista 32bit key. Is it worth i

vista is worse in game than xp and that's a fact that you'll have to live with as xp will soon become obsolete as well. and the 32bit will limit you to 3.25gb of ram generally but you'll be fine if you're just gonna wait until windows 7 or so.

So dx10 is crap then?

i wouldn't say its crap but i would say that unless you really want the dx10 look wait for 64 bit or windows 7

I really want the performance boost in dx10 games, but i've heard that 32 bit vista is going to soon become obsolete to 64 bit. Also, if I upgrade will current or near future games benefit from having more than 2 gigs of ram? I'm going to buy 2 more gigs if so, and i'm aware that I won't be able to use the full 4 gigs on the 32bit system, but ~3.2 gigs ram should be sufficient I would think. Other than the memory issue, how else will 64bit be better than 32 bit for gaming? How does xp compare to vista 32bit in terms of playing team fortress 2 and Call of Duty: WAW? I don't want to sacrifice any frames in either game, so this will also heavily dictate the issue.

No, I dont find vista good as well. I just can't work properly on vista. Team fortress 2 and Call of Duty run better on xp than vista for me.

No, I dont find vista good as well. I just can't work properly on vista. Team fortress 2 and Call of Duty run better on xp than vista for me.

Look over Mak213's posts and my own defence of Vista, I am a Nearly full time unix user an I defend vista as in the world of NT based OS's Vista is far superior to XP in every way shape or form.

Vista is not crap in games. In fact some of the more recent benchmarks show that Vista is almost equal to XP in gaming. Funny that. :rolleyes:

But truly to go to Vista just for DX10 isnt worth it. If you only want it for that reason you best have a monster rig. Like 4GB or more of RAM and a Quad CPU. Cause if not once you first switch you will gripe about performance.

Vista SP1 is quick. Vista SP2 is even faster. But it is still not as fast as XP, or so people claim. I have no issue with Vista. Never have. Vista has run fine on my old P4 since day 1. While that is not true for everyone i wont argue that. But that is my experience.

If you really think DX10 is worth it look at the facts. DX11 is already in the making. Windows 7 is hitting Beta this month and will be out before the end of 2009.

Is it really worth it to update to Vista now when all you are doing it for is something that could be obsolete before the end of this year?

i was unaware that vista had gotten better in benchies and games. good to know though :)

SP1 was even acknowledged by Microsoft to have a Performance boost.

Microsoft: Install Vista SP1 RC Refresh for the Added Performance - And get a taste of the speed boost that comes with Vista SP1 RTM - Softpedia

So with SP1 you should see the benchmarks very close now. Of course the games that are made for Vista but hacked for XP should work better in Vista. ;)

While SP2 is only adding a couple of new features it should also give a small boost as well. Nothing major. But i noticed my RAM usage is down yet again with the SP2 Beta.

Look over Mak213's posts and my own defense of Vista, I am a Nearly full time Unix user an I defend vista as in the world of NT based OS's Vista is far superior to XP in every way shape or form.

You know that everything here in this statement contradicts itself, Right?

A full time UNIX user telling people the vista is superior than XP? Then why are you a full time UNIX user? A full time UNIX could never talk about "Vista is far superior to XP in every way shape or form" because he not on it long enough to truly see that.

XP is better than vista. Ms doesn't even argue that anymore. It's why they put all that money into marketing and brainwashing (marketing is a form of brainwashing btw).

People seem to forget that vista's number one claim to fame when they first came out was better gaming because of Directx10

Now “every way shape or form” would discredit this statement below. And he like vista. Don't get mad at me mak. I'm proving a point
In fact some of the more recent benchmarks show that Vista is almost equal to XP in gaming. Funny that. :rolleyes:

It's Simple math. Almost equal will never equal greater than
v=vista
x=XP
Then
V<X = V always >X in every shape or form. That's never in anybody equation because it's flat out wrong. But since this is the new millennium, where the dumbing up of societies, big brother's watching everything that you do and marketing is the 3 most important things today, that make the above a true statement in a lot of people eyes.

Aren't you guy's sick of the stupid little vista, XP wars? I know I am. these days, I purposely avoid the issue because some of my best friends (mak is one) loves vista and I respect them too much to get into senseless arguments

Mak213 love vista to death, yet when he became a mod, he toned it down. Now he will always defend (like I defend xp) it, yet he just doesn't promote it as much. That's holding youself to a higher standard. I was offer the job of moderator twice years ago. I turn it down both times. For One I have serious anger issues and I could not be a hypocrite. I could not jump on and ban somebody who acts just like me. I knew that I couldn't myself to a higher standard and if I ain't nothing else in this world, I'm Real. You guys put up with me, so I felt it was in my best interest to decline.

I say this to say this. Moderators should hold their selves to a higher standard. You have young impressionable people who join this site and when they see the moderators saying stuff like this than they tend to believe him because most people think that moderators words are law. Saying that “Vista is far superior to XP in every way shape or form" is not true and is just a flat out lie. It will surely start flame wars and the guys who defend XP will likely get infractions.

I ignore most these posts for reasons mention above, but I had to respond to this. My main computer is an amd 6000 with 4 gig of ram, a 256 video card and 2,000 gig of storage with XP 32 bit. My media server (for watching stuff on my main computer) has a Core 2 Quad Q6700 processor with 8 gig of ram, 512 video card and 1250 gigs of storage on vista 64.

That's said, the XP system is faster on a lot of stuff. They are about equal in speed when you factor in everything. XP has a slight edge. That's why the other computer is not my main computer. The vista system is blazing amazing on some stuff (way faster than XP on that regard) but it still exhibit those frequent brain freezes on the simple stuff that it's famous for having. (Guys this is the number one reason people hate vista. You guys like to say it's because that vista hater had heard other people say that they hate vista and that those people have never tried vista. That's bull. Xp never has those freezes, especially of the simple stuff. I get tired of click on something and waiting 8 minutes for it to do actually do something

Now this is the history of the 2. Xp had basically max out everything that you could get for a 32 bit windows OS. You could get faster other system because they don't track stuff like windows. Vista should have been 64 bit only, then vista would have been justified because then and only then was it moving to the future. Vista is an over bloated XP with superior tracking (of you and counterfeit software) and disabling computer capabilities. Guys if you want to argue about this than that do it with somebody else. I don't have the time or energy.

A lot of people don't believe that because they (ms) haven't enforced any of them yet, like they did on XP in August or September of 2003. That disaster is the reason they haven't enforced it this time. They started fires and messed up 1,000's of legit computer then and blamed it on a virus (msblast). They want better control and better proof that computer is legit this time before they hit the kill switch. You can't blame them. Now less people are pirating and they are actually buying the OS.

Now how can you take an overloaded exact same system and make it better and faster than the same system that wasn't overloaded?

You Can't

Vista and XP is the same exact platform and system. Of course people will argue that it's not because you can't add a lot of XP things, they intentionally did that to make people think that it's not the same(part of thei r brainwashing).

I now that you vista guys will want to rebut that stuff but the fact is the fact. Vista (longhorn) was suppose to come out way earlier. before we would have had XP so long and then we was suppose to be enjoying all 64bit system now where all of the programs run in ram and the finish result outputted to the hdd. We should be at 30 to 50 gig ram system now, but we aren't. Why?
Because vista just wouldn't work right at first, so they had to keep going back to the drawing board to get it right. Their eventual solution?

To make an over bloated XP system that looked as good the new Mac and market it to death. It was a simple solution that worked for them. Their only problem? Most people hated it

I don't post this to start a war or to mod bash. I post this to let the Vista moderators see and respect XP. As of right now. It's the best OS ever. Notice I didn't say easiest (Mac) of fastest (lunix), but I did say best. It works with almost everything straight out the box and work well. It only needs a little configuration and it don't pester you to death.

now windows 7 (whatever name that it will have) will be better than xp because ms has to deal with the fact that they release a dud with vista (ME jr) and they had to rebound from that from a consumers relation stand point. the rebound from windows ME was XP, So I can't wait

Moderators I'm just saying that you should hold yourself to a higher standard especially on such an opinionated subject. You guys are to douse the fire, you don't start it.
I'm not talking about all of you guys, because some of you already hold yourself to a higher standard. you all know I love you guys.

Now I put a lot of work and time into typing this as you guy know my typing suck. Please absorb what I'm saying and don't get defensive (human nature).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom