Crazy Microsoft - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Crazy Microsoft

Here's the deal. I installed Linux Ubuntu on my Seagate Barracuda 120GB drive. After using it for a while, got tired of it, and wanted to switch back to Windows.

I put in the XP disk, and SATA drivers disk and boot up the computer. I install the drivers fine, but when it gets to the part where it says, "What would you like to do? Enter = Install XP, R = enter repair console, Esc = exit." (or something to that effect)

When i press enter to install a fresh copy of XP, it gives me an error saying, "Setup cannot find any harddisks installed on your system." I've gotten, and solved, this problem before, but i guess i've completely forgotten.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Old 10-27-2005, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I think it is F6 to install non defualt drivers when Setup normally loads the drivers.

Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 10-27-2005, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

yes hit f6 when the xp cd first boot and have your sata floppy ready or use your linix cd to partition the drive as NTFS before you install windows
Old 10-28-2005, 06:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I know how to install the SATA drivers, i've done it twice on this attempt to reinstall. But both attempts gave me the same result.

I'll try the partitioning idea.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake-Eyes
I know how to install the SATA drivers, i've done it twice on this attempt to reinstall. But both attempts gave me the same result.

I'll try the partitioning idea.
you must be loadiing the wrong sata driver. on my sata floppy there are 8 drivers. yet it appear to be only 4. you have to hit to the down arrow to see the rest
Old 10-29-2005, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Good call on the extra drivers. Apparently, i had something like 12 drivers and i thought i only had 4. Silly me. Plus, the driver i was previously trying to install said "Intel blah blah SATA driver" and i'm using an AMD processor. D'oh!

Thanks for the help, got it all running fine!
Old 10-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake-Eyes
Good call on the extra drivers. Apparently, i had something like 12 drivers and i thought i only had 4. Silly me. Plus, the driver i was previously trying to install said "Intel blah blah SATA driver" and i'm using an AMD processor. D'oh!

Thanks for the help, got it all running fine!
no problem
Old 10-29-2005, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I'm still trying to figure out how it is possible to get windows to install all your drivers for you that are not on the default list during setup on a slipstreamed CD. Is it possible?
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 10-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
TMT
True Techie

I'm pretty sure it's possible, Tyler1989. But, it involves adding the lines of code to each driver, etc. It's pretty time consuming.

TMT.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

just add the inf file for the driver in nlite. it should be on your driver cd

Closed Thread