Computer turning off

diety

Beta member
So, when not under load my computer is completely fine. I can browse the internet, and there's absolutely no problem. However, when I put my system under load (i.e. playing GTA IV) the computer shut offs. No warning, no error message, no crash log. It just turns off and I can turn it right back on.

It's absolutely not an overheating issue. At the time of the crash the CPU was at a brisk 37C and the GPU was at 59C. I went through and physically removed every spec of dust. After the crash not only are the gpu and cpu not overheated, the psu is cool to the touch.

From what I read this might have something to do with the PSU, the problem is that I'm broke so I'm looking at every other option

specs:

ASRock AM2+/AM3 motherboard
2x 4GB PNY DDR3 RAM
AMD Phenom II 945
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE
MasterCooler 550W

I've had this computer for like 2 years and this was never an issue until recently. I'm leaning heavily towards the fact that my PSU might be dying, and that under load the PSU can't keep up so it just shuts off. Just want to have someone who knows what they're talking about verify this before I go spend $100 on a new PSU that might not even be the problem.

Also I'm not sure if this is the right forum, if not, I'm sorry and please move it to the correct forum.

Well if the Windows Event Viewer doesn't show anything at all during the time of the crashes, then it is a PSU issue. If it was a Windows based issue then you would have events showing in the Event Viewer and it could be tracked from that.

Back
Top Bottom