complete wipe and reinstall: how to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

croSSeduP

In Runtime
My 'puter is seriously messed up. Thankfully, it is basically new (to me) and has hardly any files or programs on it. I want to COMPLETELY wipe it (all programs, files, registries, etc.) and re-install Windows 7. After the re-install I want this computer to act like a brand new, out of the box machine, so that I can re-do everything. Can someone direct me to some links on how to do this? Thank you.

TG

You can use a GParted CD or Boot Nuke CD to completely wipe the hard drive. At that point you would need a bootable windows 7 DVD and install the OS from there.

You can also format using the windows 7 DVD, it just doesn't do the best job.

You can use a GParted CD or Boot Nuke CD to completely wipe the hard drive. At that point you would need a bootable windows 7 DVD and install the OS from there.

You can also format using the windows 7 DVD, it just doesn't do the best job.

Thank you! I just downloaded the zip file from Boot Nuke and will write the zip to CD, take it to my sick computer, and perform the operation.

TG

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/gparted-usage-tutorial-224994/

Just a couple threads right above yours. ;)

Once you do that insert the Win7 DVD and follow the prompts. It is a painless experience. There isnt a guide out there, cause there is literally like 6 clicks that you have to do.

Click Install Now
Insert Serial
Click the Check box to agree to the EULA
Click Okay
Click the Custom button since your not doing a upgrade
Click the partition you want to install to
Click Finish

There it is. There is the ultimate guide to installing Windows 7. 6 clicks and a 25 alpha numeric serial input.

It's a good idea to do an OS image to DVD disk after a clean install, programs added and all settings adjusted to personal taste. I use the free version of Macarium Reflect which works very well indeed. The stored image (I store mine on disk and a separate to the OS partition in a folder I call 'copy of C'. It only takes 5min. to reinstall an exact OS image and is a better option than doing a lengthy OS re-install when the sytem becomes messed up or whatever. The ultimate system restore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom