Compaq Presario will not restore after replacing hard drive

Good morning. I've been trying to use the USB tool and it will not allow me to go past step one. It says "The selected file is not a valid ISO file. Please select a valid ISO file and try again." The file you sent is 3gb in size, it completed its download and is siting in a folder. Am I supposed to do something with it? I didn't open it. Please advise. Thanks

If you want to burn the ISO file to a dvd disk drive using an ISO burning program
Active@ ISO Burner. Data CD DVD burning software. Write ISO image to CD,DVD,CD-RW,CDR,DVD-RW
For a bootable USB drive use and read the link carnageX posted:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool
If you choose to download an ISO file so you can create a bootable file from a DVD or USB drive, copy the Windows ISO file onto your drive and then run the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool.
To make a copy of your Windows ISO file:

1. Click the Windows START button, and click WINDOWS USB/DVD DOWNLOAD TOOL in the ALL PROGRAMS list to open the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool.

2. In the SOURCE FILE box, type the name and path of your Windows ISO file, or click BROWSE and select the file from the OPEN dialog box. Click NEXT.

3. Select USB DEVICE to create a copy on a USB flash drive or select DVD disk to create a copy on a DVD disk.

4. If you are copying the file to a USB flash drive, select your USB device in the drop-down list and click BEGIN COPYING. If you are copying the file up to a DVD, click BEGIN BURNING.

When your Windows ISO file is copied to your drive, install Windows by moving to the root folder of your DVD or USB drive, and then double-click Setup.exe.

Last edited:
Good morning. I've been trying to use the USB tool and it will not allow me to go past step one. It says "The selected file is not a valid ISO file. Please select a valid ISO file and try again." The file you sent is 3gb in size, it completed its download and is siting in a folder. Am I supposed to do something with it? I didn't open it. Please advise. Thanks

Double check the file extension and make sure that you saved it as an ISO file - unhide file extensions in Folder Properties -> View tab if you have to. You shouldn't have to do anything else with it - just point the USB tool to the file.

Also, verify the MD5 hash of the file with this utility I made (attached at the bottom of the first post): http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/checksum-verifier-generator-utility-269473/

Checksum to compare to would be this one: 8383881e9e9ead498a85c7731c2698c2

If I have to, I'll upload to a different, more reliable server for you.

You need to burn the ISO file to a dvd disk or usb drive using an ISO burning program
Active@ ISO Burner. Data CD DVD burning software. Write ISO image to CD,DVD,CD-RW,CDR,DVD-RW

Not necessary with the USB tool I linked to. I mean he can still try...but if it's not being recognized as a proper ISO file then that won't help either.

Back
Top Bottom