Can't install windows 7 on friend's new build

mikee

Fully Optimized
The only specs I know of the computer are that it has an AMD A10 6800k processor and the motherboard is an ASROCK FM2-A88M Extreme 4+ motherboard.

But the problem is that when I go to install windows 7 over USB flash drive which was made using the windows 7 dvd tool on my rig since he has no optical drive. I cannot install it because once it gets to the part where you select a hard drive it says "A required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing" and wants me to browse for it. so what I did was copy the whole motherboard driver cd to another flash drive then I plugged that into the other usb port and browsed the whole contents of the cd and no drivers worked.

I ended up installing windows 8 but we have so many problems with it that he wants to get windows 7 working. I am wondering how I can get past this message and install windows 7.

Try a different USB flash drive....some drives just don't like to boot and others have no problems
\\
I have a PNY USB flash drive and it does not boot like my other USB flash drives do

Last edited:
I have used this one before to install windows on other machines and it worked fine.

It boots but I get the message right before the list of hard drives come up to install to

and when I installed win8 i used the same flash drive and it installed. However my friend is having serious issues with windows 8. The same ones that ultimately drove me back to windows 7

I ran into an a similar issue on another post Win 7 Hangs at last step

The machine was pre-installed with win 7 so I was not able to get the boot sec file from the windows $tore.(Edit)I was too cheap to purchase the discs from OEM(edit) After I formatted the usb it still would not complete. I burned a disc it installed no problem.

Last edited:
I ran into an a similar issue on another post Win 7 Hangs at last step

The machine was pre-installed with win 7 so I was not able to get the boot sec file from the windows $tore.(Edit)I was too cheap to purchase the discs from OEM(edit) After I formatted the usb it still would not complete. I burned a disc it installed no problem.

But my friend does not have an optical drive so the only option is a USB.

He caved and bought a used DVD burner however no DVDs will boot from it. ones that boot fine on other rigs won't boot on his. I double checked the boot order in the bios and the DVD rom is set to boot first. I can tell its trying to read the disks but after about a minute of sitting it eventually just skips over them and boots the messed up copy of windows 8.

I did solve a big issue with windows 8 on his computer which initially did install just fine from the usb. I ended up using a different dvd image. He bought the windows 8 copy online and received a key by email so I had to download a copy of windows 8 (not pro) but I guess it was a bad image as I ran into the same issues on other computers. So I downloaded another copy and it worked just fine with no weird lag issues or anything like before. So he is happily using a copy of windows 8.1 update 1 now. I never did figure out why the DVD drive wouldn't boot any dvds though.

Back
Top Bottom