Cannot format hard drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7
Default Cannot format hard drive

Hi.Am trying to do new installation (clean install) of windows xp pro and cant seem to get the option of formatting the drive.All it seems to do is rewrite over the previous installations(even though I choose new installation option).Since trying to reinstall I also keep getting the error "cant find c:\windows\system32\tools\delfolders.exe." It doesnt seem to be causing any problems as such as I can still use my computer but I would really like to format and get rid of any crap.Any ideas?Also clicking on C drive in My Computer and then clicking file and then choosing format, also says that windows cannot format this drive.Please close any utilities ................. and try again.No luck.Thanks.Darren.
__________________

pawnoking is offline  
Old 05-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,100
Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105
Default

think of it like this... if im using a basketball and trying to play the game.. should i pop the ball? prolly not.. kinda like formatting something that is in use

ok now for your answer:
get powermax to format... once u make the floppy reboot hit F8 or F9 as it reboots and itll give u a boot list. pick floppy itll load... follow the directions in powermax. then after that do the same but from cd, put in ur windows cd hit clean install and there u go.
back up ur junk! and if u have an extra hard drive UNHOOK IT!
__________________

__________________
I'm Forgetful! so if i stop posting on something that i was helping you with... PM me or IM me
yahoo and aol: blitze105
you can always IM or PM me if i offend you as well, i will edit the post if i have.
Blitze105 is offline  
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,909
Send a message via AIM to jcortes
Default

What you need to do is put in your XP disk, reboot, and press F12 or whatever your boot menu is. then press boot from ide-cdrom or something that has to do with booting form your cd drive. then it will load a bunch of files and you will come to a blue screen. press install fresh copy of windows. then it will bring you to a menu with all your partitions. highlight the partitions and delete them all. then go and press create new partition. after you have done that press install windows onto selected partition with the new partition highlighted. It will start to format and form there its just installing windows.

please follow ALL steps.

i have done it 12 times and it has worked every time.
__________________

AIM = jcortestechhelp
jcortes is offline  
Old 05-08-2005, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,909
Send a message via AIM to jcortes
Default

DO NOT try to format it with a floppy disk. u will have nothing but problems. use your windows cd.
__________________

AIM = jcortestechhelp
jcortes is offline  
Old 05-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 36,817
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default

He will be perfectly fine fdisking and formatting his pc with a floppy. Why did you say there will be nothing but problems? I do this on a weekly basis and have never had a problem.
__________________
Osiris is offline  
Old 05-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,909
Send a message via AIM to jcortes
Default

for windows xp there is no point in using a floppy if u have the cd. plus doing it with a floppy would be to hard for him he doesnt sound that technologicaly advanced if he is trying to format the hard drive with windows running.
__________________

AIM = jcortestechhelp
jcortes is offline  
Old 05-08-2005, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,100
Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by jcortes
DO NOT try to format it with a floppy disk. u will have nothing but problems. use your windows cd.
.... lol ur trusting windows nice job
__________________
I'm Forgetful! so if i stop posting on something that i was helping you with... PM me or IM me
yahoo and aol: blitze105
you can always IM or PM me if i offend you as well, i will edit the post if i have.
Blitze105 is offline  
Old 05-08-2005, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by jcortes
What you need to do is put in your XP disk, reboot, and press F12 or whatever your boot menu is. then press boot from ide-cdrom or something that has to do with booting form your cd drive. then it will load a bunch of files and you will come to a blue screen. press install fresh copy of windows. then it will bring you to a menu with all your partitions. highlight the partitions and delete them all. then go and press create new partition. after you have done that press install windows onto selected partition with the new partition highlighted. It will start to format and form there its just installing windows.

please follow ALL steps.

I have done it 12 times and it has worked every time.
Everybody get confuse here, because when it say repair, they don't know that hitting Escape wil take them to the formatting, delete and create partition page, Because there is nothing there to tell them that.

I would go Blitze105 route, because you won't have to worry about this problem, plus it will clean your master boot record (MBR). it might be a virus there or Microsoft Spyware. none of windows tools are capable of messing with the boot sector (microsoft did that on purpose)

Quote:
Originally posted by Blitze105
think of it like this... if im using a basketball and trying to play the game.. should i pop the ball? prolly not.. kinda like formatting something that is in use

ok now for your answer:
get powermax to format... once u make the floppy reboot hit F8 or F9 as it reboots and itll give u a boot list. pick floppy itll load... follow the directions in powermax. then after that do the same but from cd, put in ur windows cd hit clean install and there u go.
back up ur junk! and if u have an extra hard drive UNHOOK IT!
__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 05-08-2005, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member (again)
 
macdude425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raul's Wild Kingdom...How 'bout that, huh?
Posts: 4,202
Send a message via AIM to macdude425 Send a message via Yahoo to macdude425
Default

I'd follow Blitze's route too.

And since when is...
format c:
y
[ENTER]

...any harder than booting off the CD and following all the steps?
__________________



Debian Support Forums!
macdude425 is offline  
Old 05-08-2005, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,100
Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105
Default

personally its kus i dont like windows formatting.. sorry anyhow thanx for recommending me
__________________

__________________
I'm Forgetful! so if i stop posting on something that i was helping you with... PM me or IM me
yahoo and aol: blitze105
you can always IM or PM me if i offend you as well, i will edit the post if i have.
Blitze105 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.