Bringing Office 2010 into Windows 8

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hey everyone,

My friend is trying to upgrade his machine and wanted to bring over his copy of Office. Unfortunately, he is using Windows 7 Enterprise with Office Professional Plus (it was issued by his college and he got to keep it after graduation). He wants to move Office over to Windows 8 when he upgrades - he has the product key. Unfortunately, it appears that the only way to can upgrade to 8 is to reformat his HDD because he is using Win 7 Enterprise and you can't do a direct upgrade from that to Win 8.

So is there any way he can keep the version of Office he has and move it to the new version of Windows 8? He doesn't have the Office disk, since he is using what I believe is an image of Windows 7 given to him by his college. I don't suppose just moving the entire Office program onto an external and copying it over would work? Any other suggestions or ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

No there is no way he can keep it. He will need the installer for Office Pro Plus and his serial to reinstall it.

Why not format, download Office Professional Plus, and use license key? whats the problem?

I can only find a 60 day trial of Office Pro Plus 2010. I can't find a download that will allow you to use your product key.

That's what I thought. But when I checked out the Office website, it said:

60-Day evaluation expiration. This evaluation software will expire in 60 days after which it will deactivate and must be uninstalled before installing a purchased copy.

To me, that sounds like you have to have an install disc before you can use the product key. Am I reading that the wrong way?

I found that here:
Download Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010

When you install it, you should have the option to enter a product key or continue with the trial, IIRC. I believe you can also enter a product key at anytime through the help menu (can't remember for sure on this one).

Open Word. Click on the icon in the upper right hand corner. There go under Options. There you should see the Office is not Activate message. It should have a button for Activate Now. Click it, insert the serial and it will activate.

Just got internet back after Hurricane Sandy - ok we think we have it figured out. Thanks for all your advice to help us get here!

Back
Top Bottom