Booting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

valandilringeril

Solid State Member
Hey, I'm new. Actually, I signed up to these forums because I'm desperate for help.

About three days ago, I tried to uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition (I'm going to college in a few days, they provide an antispyware program), and the uninstall went wrong, I guess.

Anyways, I tried to reboot my computer, and now it successfully boots right up until the login page, and then it just stops. I have Windows XP, and I've learned more about computers in the last three days trying to fix this problem than I have in my whole life. I figured out how to get into the Recovery Console, and I heard that a corrupt kernel32.dll file might be the problem, so I replaced that, and still no luck. I've tried deleting the files remaining from the spyware program, but since it's in the program files folder, I can't do anything to them without first logging in and giving myself access to do that (which, if I could do, then I wouldn't have a problem in the first place.)

Any suggestions? :confused:

Have you tried booting into safe mode by hitting the F8 key during POST?

Safe mode leads to the same result; I still can't even logon.

You know the blue background of the logon screen? It freezes on a screen like that, but it just says "Microsoft Windows XP" and it doesn't show any users.

sounds like you might have to do a repair install.
1. Will that wipe all of the files on the computer? I have almost 40 GB of stuff that I don't want to lose.
2. How would one go about doing that?

do a system restore with erd commander 2005
...what?

sounds like you might have to do a repair install.

I looked up repair installs.

I was wondering: When I go into recovery console and it says to pick a windows installation, I get three options. The first two begin with "d:\" and the third one is "c:\windows".
If I moved the data I wanted to save to one of the d:\ drives, would it survive a repair install?

Well, you could make a backup of the drive if you have access to another pc by buying
drive enclosure. Using that you can use your present hard disk as a usb drive. But you need another pc to back it up.

Repair won't remove everything. Your music, pictures will be safe. But it could ruin
some of the programs.

Sam.

A repair install isn't doen within the recovery console. If you have your original XP disc, boot off of it, and then choose to install Windows, not press R for recovery. Now, it should find your existing install, and you should be able to press R to perform a repair install from this screen.

A repair install isn't doen within the recovery console. If you have your original XP disc, boot off of it, and then choose to install Windows, not press R for recovery. Now, it should find your existing install, and you should be able to press R to perform a repair install from this screen.

The problem is that I don't have the XP disc (I don't even know if it came with one). Long story short, my dad bought the computer on an extended business trip, and even if there is a disc, there's no hope of finding it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom