Boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Ok, so this is kinda mainly for Mak as he and I had talked about this before (whether or nto he remembers is another thing lol).

Anyway, so I had XP still installed on my drive that I have Vista installed on as well. I marked my Vista partition as active, and then formatted the XP partition. Booted into GParted, and chose to move the Vista partition in front of the old-XP partition, and then resize the Vista partition

Wouldn't boot after I did all that, so I had to boot off of my Vista disk and do a startup repair. It automatically detected problems and had to reboot to repair th em. So I did that. Now it boots, but, when I log in, I'm greeted with a blue desktop w/ just my mouse pointer, and no interface. So I opened up task manager (thankfully I'm still able to do that), and ran a new explorer.exe. It loaded the GUI, and a tray message popped up and said that my profile could not be loaded correctly so I was logged on with a temp one.

I look in Computer, and see that my Vista drive is no longer C:, but its D:. Was gonna attempt to do this: How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows But no programs will run. And my laptop is acting up (go figure), so I'm using a portable version of FF off of my flash drive to type this =\.

Yeah i remember that talk. Alright this is going to be tricky. Your best bet here maybe to create a new profile and import your old profile settings. After that you should get your desktop back and be able to operate somethings.

With the drive being fubar like it is (Showing D:\ instead of C:\) you might still run into issues where things wont run cause the drive letter is not functioning properly.

But for now try the profile thing first.

Fix a corrupted user profile - Windows Vista Help

Was going to attempt that earlier, but its not letting me create a new user account. Seems like anything that requires admin access/UAC prompt (even tho I thought I had UAC off...maybe I had just used TweakUAC...can't remember for sure) doesn't let me access it. Tried unlocking the hidden admin account via command prompt, but I don't have admin privileges.

Is there anyway to create a new user account and/or unlock the admin account without having to boot into Windows? I'm doubting it, but just making sure. I'm guessing I'm going to have to reinstall.

Edit: Ok, so I was just thinking, I'm not able to boot into my Win7 dual boot either (when I attempt to boot to it, it gives me an error with winload.exe). Anyway of fixing that so I can at least get my desktop back up and running?

That might be able to be done via BertPE. Not sure. this is a new one. I have never seen that happen before. Sorry for the ill advice on this one mate. I never could have guessed that the drive label would change like that....

Well I managed to get Win7 to boot, but Vista still won't work right. This will have to do for now, but I guess I'll have to try out BartPE, unless it'd just be better to reinstall?

Edit: Just wondering...is it possible to edit the registry from another windows install? Or from outside of Windows? I think I did it somehow once, but I'm not sure... Wondering if I could get it to work that way to see if that fixes the drive letter problem/fixes this whole mess, if I'm able to follow the guide I linked to earlier to change boot drive letter?

I will check. But i know there is a way. There is even a way to do it from Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom