Alternative for adobe flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara33

Daemon Poster
Does anyone know of a good, free alternative to adobe flash? I am sick of it crashing every day.

thx

There is none. Adobe Flash is the only thing available for Windows. There is Silverlight but that is only IE based and isnt used on very many sites. So either you have to use a Beta version of flash from the Adobe Labs or deal with it crashing.

There is a project called Gnash which aims to create an open-source Flash-compatible plugin but the last versions I've tested (in Linux) haven't worked very well as the project is still new. They do have a Windows port but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to install.

I have had the same results with Gnash. Decent success, but still enough issues to make me wonder why I was using it over Adobe's. Adobe came out with a new beta in Linux that works better, so I ditched Gnash.

Unless you're using HTML5 browsers and sites, Adobe is really your best bet. It's quite sad because flash doesn't have the best track record for stability. But hey, give it a few months/years till HTML5 kicks into high gear and maybe we can kiss flash goodbye. :p

IT sometimes comes up saying it is going to rebuild cache so I dont know if that has anything to do with it?

You could try clearing your browser history/cookies/cache from in your web browser settings, sometimes this fixes browser problems but nothing is guaranteed. Also make sure you're running the latest version of Flash (when it pops up asking you to update, don't ignore it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom