Window 7/ Vista problem. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Window 7/ Vista problem.

Due to being a clumsy dolt recently managed to damage my trusty old lap top, that came with Windows 7, during the course of a long car journey.

To cut a long story short a friend gave me an old lap top that he had but which had the hard drive removed from it and minus a power lead. So I get a power lead and, to my complete surprise, I manage to retrieve my old hard drive and install it (well slide it into the slot provided but trust me, that is a huge step forward in terms of my technical know how) and everything fires up and is working fine.

But I keep on being told by the lap top that my Windows 7 is a pirated copy. I have been able to ascertain that the current lap top I am using came with Windows Vista so I am looking for a way to register my copy of Windows 7 so that I stop being told I am a pirate. I have the code from the back of my old lap top.

Any help much appreciated and please try and explain it as though you are dealing with somebody who struggles to grasp any and everything to do with technology.

Thanks in advance.

Matov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: Window 7/ Vista problem.

Control Panel -> System -> at the bottom click the link to activate Windows. If it won't activate online, choose to call in.

Follow the steps prompted via the automated system. If asked how many systems it's been used on, just say 1. Activation should go through just fine.

It's prompting you to reactivate because you put it in completely different hardware.

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Window 7/ Vista problem.

Make sure that the version on your windows 7 match the version on the ticker, and then all you need to do is activate the window.

For that right click on my computer - settings and scrawl down the page on the bottom you will have the activation bottom
A2ftweaks is offline   Reply With Quote