Unexplainable FPS problem on Acer V3 772G
Hi there! I'm using Acer V3 772G with Intel i7, GTX 760M, 8 GB of RAM, running on Windows 8.1, if it matters. I've been getting FPS issues lately. I was randomly experiencing sudden FPS drops (down to like 15) in all games no matter the settings. What I did when this happened - I reinstalled all the computer's drivers, cleaned it up a bit (viruses, registries, etc...), restarted it and the FPS was back to normal. I just want to mention that exactly two weeks ago I did a clean new install on Windows so that's why I didn't resort to reinstalling it. However, yesterday I discovered something very peculiar:
- Laptop is plugged in and everything goes perfectly fine - I play a game at a constant 40 fps.
- I unplug the laptop and suddenly the fps starts varying between 15 and 30 fps via very sudden and uncomfortable drops.
- I plug the lapotp again and it gets better.. just not enough. It ALMOST locks in about 33-5 fps with drops (just not as frequent as before's) to about 25. I change the settings to the lowest possible and it keeps dropping to 25 no matter what.
- I restart the laptop and suddenly it's all fine.
With the exception that today restarting doesn't help anymore. Any suggestions to what could possibly cause that and ideas how to fix it? Thanks in advance!
Some side notes:
- I have set the computer to "High Performance" both in the NVIDIA Control Panel and Windows Power Management.
- I have set the preferred graphics processor to be High-performance NVIDIA processor in the Global Settings of the NVIDIA Control Panel so it's not likely to be an IGP problem.
- The temperature of the CPU and GPU are both at about 50-60 C when the laptop is idle on dekstop with no processes on and up to 75-85 when in game (the lower the fps the lower the temperature). Is it too high or something?
- I disabled some Intel and NVIDIA services in msconfig. I thinks the problem dates from even before that but I'll mention what I've disabled anyways:
Intel Content Protection HECI Service
Intel Capability Licensing Service Interface
Intel Capability Licensing Service TCP IP Interface
Intel Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface Service
Intel Management and Security Application Local Management Service
NVIDIA Update Service Daemon
AetherosSvc (it's some Windows thing but anyways...)