Sony Vaio help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Default Sony Vaio help!

So I have had several problems with my sony vaio that I bought 9 months ago. It is running windows 7 home premium.

about 4 weeks ago it became really slow and simple tasks, like right clicking or going into folders didn't work or froze my entire computer. I'm a technology and art student at WPI so I have a lot of programs on my computer (the adobe suite, Maya, Microsoft office2010, Skype, just to name the most used/ largest). I never had much open at once though. It froze constantly and was not running smoothly so I reformatted it.

After reformatting it worked great! at least for 4 weeks... Today it gave me the blue screen of death, which I thought no longer existed. I was only running Skype and chrome at the time. I manually restarted and started a virus scan using Mcafee's on demand scan. It scanned for about 3.5 hours then stared to freeze up/ not respond. I opened chrome to google something and thats when it got real slow. I closed the internet but my computer screen went black and slowly came back then there was nothing but the desktop background, I could't even ctr alt delete (it gave me an error message). So I had to restart again and opened in safe mode. But it game a a crazy I/O error while in safe mode. two actually.

I have no idea what is wrong with it. I took it to my college's help desk the first time i reformatted and they just told me to wipe it.

I don't go onto any websites with viruses/ don't click on the popups. I don't know what is wrong and am really frustrated because this was an expensive laptop that is fairly new.

Anyone have any thought? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Logan

One other thing. When I was going through my windows.old file the other day, I went into downloads and a message came up saying it detected a virus or corrupted file ( i cant remember which) and I just immediately deleted the entire downloads folder.
__________________

Logan12 is offline  
Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Sony Vaio help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan12 View Post
One other thing. When I was going through my windows.old file the other day, I went into downloads and a message came up saying it detected a virus or corrupted file ( i cant remember which) and I just immediately deleted the entire downloads folder.

hmmm, can I recommend something for you ?

Can you download mssentials and anti-malware bytes and let malware bytes do a scan and see what it picks up ?
Also it might be a good idea to clean out your system clutter rather than doing a unnecessary wipe.

Download a ccleaner CCleaner - Download

Download a defraggler Defraggler - File and Disk Defragmentation - Free Download

Both of these and that should help get you right back on track.
__________________

-RockMan- is offline  
Old 09-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Default Re: Sony Vaio help!

Yeah I can give that a try.
what malware are you talking about?
is it this one? Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download
Logan12 is offline  
Old 09-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Sony Vaio help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan12 View Post
Yeah I can give that a try.
what malware are you talking about?
is it this one? Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download
You betcha download that and do a full scan and tell me what it picks up ?
Next if does not find anything please mssentials and let it update, reboot and install ccleaner and defraggler.
Start out with ccleaner and have it clear any debris it sees fit, next have it look for registry errors and have it fix it.
Finally load defraggler and let it do a full defragment, I recommend you set up to defrag at night 11pm-3am when your not touching your pc.

By looking at your problem again it sounds like it needs a good cleaning with new security to keep things out that will eat your pc alive if given the chance to.
-RockMan- is offline  
Old 09-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFuryuken! View Post
You betcha download that and do a full scan and tell me what it picks up ?
Next if does not find anything please mssentials and let it update, reboot and install ccleaner and defraggler.
Start out with ccleaner and have it clear any debris it sees fit, next have it look for registry errors and have it fix it.
Finally load defraggler and let it do a full defragment, I recommend you set up to defrag at night 11pm-3am when your not touching your pc.

By looking at your problem again it sounds like it needs a good cleaning with new security to keep things out that will eat your pc alive if given the chance to.
Thank you!!

I'm scanning my system now with malwarebytes. Hopefully it wont take too long. Its been going for about an hour and a half now. Maybe a few more hours.

So about 2 hours into the malware scan, my computer started freezing up. The scan wasnt responding. THen the blue screen of death came back. It restarted and I did a quick scan which it did quickly and found nothing. Its doing the same things it used to before I reformatted. I think I need to give Sony a call.
Logan12 is offline  
Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
MindoverMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: /home
Posts: 12,212
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Sony Vaio help!

try running malwarebytes in safe mode.
__________________
Neowin.net Steam Account
MindoverMaster is offline  
Old 09-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Sony Vaio help!

Before you do what mind says please go to start type in eventviewer go to system error logs and please note to us what has a red exclamation mark by that error message.

Don't know why your computer would BSOD while scanning but I sepect there is hardware or software conflict going on in windows.

We'll see tomorrow what you post up and go from there, if I don't respond for most of the day Mind and others will take lead and make sure this problem is fixed.
-RockMan- is offline  
Old 10-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Default Re: Sony Vaio help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFuryuken! View Post
Before you do what mind says please go to start type in eventviewer go to system error logs and please note to us what has a red exclamation mark by that error message.

Don't know why your computer would BSOD while scanning but I sepect there is hardware or software conflict going on in windows.

We'll see tomorrow what you post up and go from there, if I don't respond for most of the day Mind and others will take lead and make sure this problem is fixed.
Ok, There are countless errors from windows install. Those were back on September 2nd though. There are a bunch from applications including: eventsystems, application error, sidebyside, msinstaller, and mclogevent. But those are the only ones that I could see. I went back into system errors and it looks like there are a bunch of critical error from all over the month of september from Kernel Power (unexpected reboot).
Logan12 is offline  
Old 10-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: Sony Vaio help!

Well after reading just the first post I can already tell you that you are in fact infected. Wanna know how I know this with just a simple read?

You were browsing the Windows.old folder. Right there tells me that the system was not properly formatted when you reinstalled leaving all of your old files in tact. Thus when you were browsing the folder, you got infected again hence the warning. Now your system is infected and it wont operate properly to get rid of it.

The reason for the crashes could be due to the infection. It could just be that they are causing the system to work itself into a circle and get a kernel panic and crash. Could be that they are causing the kernel to crash. Either way this infection you have is causing your problems.

You did not get this problem after you formatted cause you didnt go into the windows.old folder. Now that you did you activated the infection again. Notice the pattern?

You have to get rid of that Windows.old folder first and foremost. From there you need a god cleaning of the system.
__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline  
Old 10-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Default Re: Sony Vaio help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
Well after reading just the first post I can already tell you that you are in fact infected. Wanna know how I know this with just a simple read?

You were browsing the Windows.old folder. Right there tells me that the system was not properly formatted when you reinstalled leaving all of your old files in tact. Thus when you were browsing the folder, you got infected again hence the warning. Now your system is infected and it wont operate properly to get rid of it.

The reason for the crashes could be due to the infection. It could just be that they are causing the system to work itself into a circle and get a kernel panic and crash. Could be that they are causing the kernel to crash. Either way this infection you have is causing your problems.

You did not get this problem after you formatted cause you didnt go into the windows.old folder. Now that you did you activated the infection again. Notice the pattern?

You have to get rid of that Windows.old folder first and foremost. From there you need a god cleaning of the system.
That's what I figured. I'm deleting the windows.old folder now. I'm just unsure how to get rid of the infection and what the best way to clean my system is. But I guess that was Mike's suggestion as well.

Thanks!
__________________

Logan12 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony Vaio TT techitesm Laptops and Notebooks 2 10-30-2008 06:13 AM
Sony vaio SZ lazykiller Laptops and Notebooks 4 02-10-2008 04:59 PM
Need help with SONY VAIO bayoufrogg Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 7 08-17-2005 12:22 PM
Sony VAIO K23 liverpoolred Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 3 11-25-2004 05:11 PM
Sony Vaio Laptop DVDRW P4 + Compaq P3 Laptop + Celeron Laptop + Sony Mavica DigCamera CrossMX Buy/Sell/Trade and Hot Deals 2 05-18-2004 12:03 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.