SAMSUNG Factory Restore on New SSD WITHOUT DVD???

Yeah, that should have worked then. Let me look into some stuff and I'll get back to you.

I know it should work because I've done it before from a large HDD to a 120GB SSD lol.

Ok, after looking at the limitations on CloneZilla's page:

The destination partition must be equal or larger than the source one.

I remember what I did. I used GParted to resize the partition on the large drive so that it was less than the size of the SSD.

If you want to do multiple partitions, you may have to do multiple images. Does your large drive have multiple partitions that you want to copy over (e.g. recovery partition + main partition)? If this is the case, then you'll have to partition the SSD to match the original disk (2 partitions on original drive = 2 partitions on SSD).

I would highly suggest just putting the original drive back into the laptop and creating the recovery discs first. That way, in case this doesn't work quite right, and you can't copy over the recovery partition, then you'll at least have original discs to go back to for the factory image. I know it would be a pain, but IMO this would be the best route as a "just in case" measure. Then if you want, you can continue the clone as I described above (do each partition at a time rather than whole disk clone).

Ok, after looking at the limitations on CloneZilla's page:

I remember what I did. I used GParted to resize the partition on the large drive so that it was less than the size of the SSD.

If you want to do multiple partitions, you may have to do multiple images. Does your large drive have multiple partitions that you want to copy over (e.g. recovery partition + main partition)? If this is the case, then you'll have to partition the SSD to match the original disk (2 partitions on original drive = 2 partitions on SSD).

I would highly suggest just putting the original drive back into the laptop and creating the recovery discs first. That way, in case this doesn't work quite right, and you can't copy over the recovery partition, then you'll at least have original discs to go back to for the factory image. I know it would be a pain, but IMO this would be the best route as a "just in case" measure. Then if you want, you can continue the clone as I described above (do each partition at a time rather than whole disk clone).

I see. Thanks for looking into this.

It seems I have no other option but to open up the back of the laptop and change the hard disks around once again. I didn't like doing it the first time, but I guess I have to do it once more. Got to try and be more gentle this time! Once I get the original hdd in there I won't really have to clone the partition anymore, as my main purpose is to create the recovery disks. Once that's done, I'm done with the original laptop hard drive.

Do you think I will have to close the back of the laptop completely once I place the old hard drive back in there before I start up the laptop and create the recovery discs? Because that would mean I would have to open it up twice more, once to put the old hdd back in and create the recovery disks, and once to replace the laptop HDD with the SSD for the second time..

You should probably be fine as long as you're gentle with it while the recovery disks are being created.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

You should probably be fine as long as you're gentle with it while the recovery disks are being created.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

I will do that, no worries. You've been very helpful, no reason to apologise whatsoever! Thanks a lot!

Why do you need to use SATA? If speed is your problem, you are still limited by the USB speed. You can use a external drive fine with Clonezilla.

Back
Top Bottom