NEED HELP ready to take a sledgehammer to this thing!

nobodyimporant

Solid State Member
I ****ING HATE THIS ALIENWARE LAPTOP!!! I have an alienware18x, and for no reason yesterday it has started just turning off the screen going black, and having to restart it, I had this problem before, but it stopped once I cleaned it out, but this isn't the problem this time because mind you, I just cleaned it out recently, and for no reason it turns off and goes black and keeps restarting, or the screen just goes black, when I turned it on this morning it beeped and then the screen was just black but the laptop stays on I'm on safe mode atm because it won't work otherwise, I scanned for viruses and there's nothing, is there anything I can do to fix this or should I just smash this ****ing thing? I'm really getting pissed off!! Can't believe I wasted money on this piece of ****, word of advice to everyone don't waste your money on a dell alienware :mad:

Easy there, turbo.

If you can get into Safe Mode, then it's either a software or driver issue.

You didn't mention what OS you're using...so:

Open up MSConfig (Start -> type 'msconfig' without quotes) -> Go to the Startup tab -> Uncheck everything. Reboot into normal mode and see if it starts up. If it starts up fine and you have no issues, then re-enable 1 item at a time and reboot in between and see which item in the list causes the issues. If that doesn't help, then continue.

Disable automatic restart.
Control Panel -> System Properties -> Advanced System Settings on the left side -> under 'Startup and Recovery' pick Settings... -> uncheck "Automatically Restart"

This is in case you're getting a BSOD you can give us the error code rather than your system just rebooting right away.

If those don't fix your issue, then open up Event Viewer and go to the System logs and look for an Error entry around the time the system had issues. See if there's an entry - if there is, post the contents here.

I have more suggestions, but I'd rather you complete the above suggestions before I suggest anything else, so that we can narrow down the problem and find out the actual cause.

carnageX

If he is using windows 8,8.1 then I Belive its hsi drivers. I just went through this a few months back. he might have gotten a windows update for his drivers which can cause the system to just reboot.

and I have to admit, you blow me away with your knowleddge. obewon

carnageX

If he is using windows 8,8.1 then I Belive its hsi drivers. I just went through this a few months back. he might have gotten a windows update for his drivers which can cause the system to just reboot.

and I have to admit, you blow me away with your knowleddge. obewon

Maybe a stupid question, what does HSI mean?

Easy there, turbo.

If you can get into Safe Mode, then it's either a software or driver issue.

You didn't mention what OS you're using...so:

Open up MSConfig (Start -> type 'msconfig' without quotes) -> Go to the Startup tab -> Uncheck everything. Reboot into normal mode and see if it starts up. If it starts up fine and you have no issues, then re-enable 1 item at a time and reboot in between and see which item in the list causes the issues. If that doesn't help, then continue.

Disable automatic restart.
Control Panel -> System Properties -> Advanced System Settings on the left side -> under 'Startup and Recovery' pick Settings... -> uncheck "Automatically Restart"

This is in case you're getting a BSOD you can give us the error code rather than your system just rebooting right away.

If those don't fix your issue, then open up Event Viewer and go to the System logs and look for an Error entry around the time the system had issues. See if there's an entry - if there is, post the contents here.

I have more suggestions, but I'd rather you complete the above suggestions before I suggest anything else, so that we can narrow down the problem and find out the actual cause.

Did all that, nothing.
And I turned off the automatic shut offs on the power options too, and I am currently running it without plugging in the AC adapter because for some reason, plugging it in makes it shut down too, the screen just goes black.
Also when I turned it on without the AC adapter, every time it beeps a few times, not sure how many beeps, but it beeped a lot tonight and it's really annoying I'm just thinking maybe this is a piece of **** and I should just throw this laptop in the garbage. I am currently running it on safe mode w/networking. I don't have the money to send it somewhere to get it repaired. Can't believe I wasted money on this piece of ****.:mad::mad:

Those beeps represent a fault code. Next time count the number of beeps it makes and then you can use that to diagnose what problem the hardware is having

If it's under warranty, get up with Dell and get an RMA. Ship it back to them and let them fix it.
Getting all pissed off isn't going to get the problem resolved.

Back
Top Bottom