Need help getting to guts of Gateway MX6421 laptop. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Need help getting to guts of Gateway MX6421 laptop.

Have a Gateway MX6421 which completely stopped working after the dvd tray got banged and wouldn't close. I need to get inside to remove dvd player. I have never taken apart a laptop. Which keys have the screws under them to release keyboard?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Need help getting to guts of Gateway MX6421 laptop.

You will need to get a manual that shows you where all the screws are. None are usually under any keys, you usually take the screws on the bottom off first, then that will loosen the keyboard allowing you to take that off and gain access the the screws under the keyboard.

If you haven't done it before you will have to google a guide to do so. Usually unscrew the bottom screws, which will loosen the keyboard, which will give you access to one or two screws that hold in the DVD drive.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Usually taking apart laptops are awful and if you haven't done it before I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you're usually pretty handy with computers. Basically just go into the back and take out all the screws, label with some tape which screws go where so you don't mess up the computer and then you should be able to just get into the laptop and pop out the DVD tray. Are you going to replace it or just take it out because replacing it can be a bit trickier and you have to be careful with the ribbon cables that power/run the DVD drive.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks, I think will just remove it for now and see if it fires up. If it does will go from there. If not will try some other things.
Closed Thread