Missing Drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLMatthews

Beta member

Hello, all...

Newbie (to the board) here. I have studied IST in college, earned 48 credits and then decided that the market is too saturated...

But I digress...

I have a 2006 Dell Inspiron lappie, XP Home. I bought it as a cheapie backup for my project desktop, a 1999 Gateway that I have resurrected and rebuilt.
My Dell had two hard drives, "C" and "D" (backup). The CD/DVD-ROM drive was "E".
I bought a 1GB thumb drive that has its own software. Ever since I started using it, the program for it became "E", the drive itself became "H", and it moved my CD/DVD drive to "F".
However. sometimes after using the CD drive to rip audio CDs, the drive itself will disappear from "My Computer". I can bring it back by plugging in my flash drive or digital camera and then removing it.
I have run "System Restore", removed iTunes 7 and installed 8, among other things.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Start>Right click on My Computer (Or computer in Vista) and select Manage. There in the left pane click on Disk Management. There reassign the drive letters. Make the CD Drive back to E:\, the Flash Program to F:\ and have the Flash drive inserted and assign it to G:\ or H:\.

*Note*

This will require you to reassign those drive with that letter currently assigned those letter to something else first. Choose Z or something lower in the alphabet so that you wont get the same letter as that letter wont show up if it is already assigned.

See if assigning the drive letters manually will stop this from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom