laptop in trunk - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2007, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Torner
Arrow laptop in trunk

Well i've had my car PC (its a laptop) for about 4 months now and its been working great. I have it installed on the floor behind the drivers seat. I would like to move it to the trunk so as to the back seat available but my question is this:

-What are the disadvantages?
-Will there be heat issues?
-I live in Florida and may potentially move to Austin, TX (Both are very very hot places).
-Since its a laptop, wouldn't it pose a fire danger with the battery being in there in the harsh sun.

What do you think? What is my best alternative???

Old 12-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Re: laptop in trunk

What exactly are you doing with a laptop in your car??

Anyways, being a former car audio audiophobe, I used to deal with the same thing using high powered amplifiers and worried about fire hazards. I'm a bit of a wood working guy, so I'd use some tools we have in the garage to build a stand for the amp. I even ran a relay from the amp to power 4 computer case fans to cool down the amp's heat sink.

You can get pretty creative with it. For example, on my laptop I have a fan on the bottom... so if I were to install a laptop on a platform, I would use a router to ground out a channel in the baseboard to channel out the hot air exiting the laptop.

Just gotta be creative, think slow, measure twice cut once. The other advantage to making a platform is you can add some risers to the laptop stand to lift it off of the platform a bit for greater heat dissipation.

Just some food for thought... since I have no idea what your intention is, I'm just relaying what I did with car audio amplifiers... But both are power consuming hot running devices, I figured they'd be in the same ball park!!

There's no place like /home.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Default Re: laptop in trunk

why are you running a laptop through the back of your car??? seems a little peculiar when there are so many car pc cases/components and screens available which include things like GPS and Handsfree surely this would be a simpler option in the UK it sets you back £500 so in the US I am guessing $600-700 for a touchscreen car pc powered off of the car battery and with GPS
Closed Thread