Laptop shuts down randomly with cool temperatures

KaaaaasKop

Beta member
Hello everyone,

My laptop randomly shuts down during gaming. At first I thought it was my cooling, but after cleaning and monitoring the temperatures, it turns out that that is not the issue. My laptop also never even feels lukewarm, let alone hot.

My laptop is the MSI GT72S 6QE Dominator Pro.

I've also made sure my new driver updates weren't faulty either, which they aren't.

Personally, I think it's a power issue; whenever I play a game (even WoW on the lowest possible setting, which is something my laptop can easily handle, since it can handle the highest settings with ease) my laptop randomly shuts down, and when it does, my adapter shuts down as well. My laptop refuses to boot up again until I unplug and plug my adapter back in. After that, it boots up like nothing has happened. There is nothing wrong with my battery and my adapter charges normally as well. I also checked if the adapter would get hot, but it's as cold as an ice cube. When this happens, nothing happens to my lamp, so I don't think it's the plug's fault. (The lamp is connected to the same extender.)

I have tried underclocking the GPU by -500 via MSI Afterburner, but it still shuts down with a temperature of max 54 degrees Celcius.

I know that once I start gaming, more power is needed. So what if my laptop, for some reason, suddenly receives too little or too much power? Is that possible? If so, how? Is there a solution?

I experience no shut-downs when not playing any games, so I can watch series and such without issues. I have even tested this with WoW in the background and it wouldn't shut down, but at other times it shuts down after a minute or two, if that.

I have also checked both my C and D disks for errors via the Windows 10 disk checker, but both disks report no errors.

I don't have time to send my laptop to the manufacturer at this point in time unfortunately, so I am hoping if any of you can help me.

If you require additional information, don't hesitate to ask!

Friendly regards,
KaaaaasKop.

Would suggest trying another outlet, or even a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) and see if you get issues with a charged UPS as well. If you do, then I'd say it could be the adapter. Should be able to find one online.

Would suggest trying another outlet, or even a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) and see if you get issues with a charged UPS as well. If you do, then I'd say it could be the adapter. Should be able to find one online.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Do you mean I should try gaming without my laptop plugged in?

I have tried changing outlets though. Same issue.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Do you mean I should try gaming without my laptop plugged in?

I have tried changing outlets though. Same issue.

No, a UPS is basically a surge protector with a backup battery as well. But if you tried different outlets (even a different location, like a friend's house or something like that?) - then it could be something faulty with the adapter.

No, a UPS is basically a surge protector with a backup battery as well. But if you tried different outlets (even a different location, like a friend's house or something like that?) - then it could be something faulty with the adapter.

Yes... I do believe it's the adapter. I tried gaming without an adapter and it worked fine, no shut-downs whatsoever (until the battery was empty) and then I tried again WITH the adapter and it shut down after walking about 5 steps.

But an adapter for my laptop (MSI 6QE Dominator Pro) is very expensive where I'm looking.

It's supposed to have an 3.2 A, 100-240 V 50-60 Hz input and an 11.8 A, 19,5 V output with supposedly 230 watt adapter, but I'm wondering if that is overkill for my gaming laptop. At least, when it comes to watt amount.

Am I allowed to get a cheaper adapter that works just as well? If so, which one would you recommend? If no adapter in particular comes to mind, what about specifications?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom