its over

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
well, the trial McAfee anti virus that was pre installed in my and my wife's Lenovo G50. hers actually expired a few weeks ago. so i downloaded and installed Avast free a.v., then went into the control panel, and uninstalled the McAfee. except that did not uninstall all of it. because she continues to get pop ups to pay for a subscription, and she gets notices that the firewall is turned off. when she tried to turn it on, it says it is managed by McAfee. talk about being held hostage! our computers run windows 8.1 if that matters. we would like to find a way to remove all of the McAfee and find a way to turn the firewall back on. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did Avira step up their game or something, because it used to be as bad if not worse than Norton. I had to take it off several laptops a couple years ago while some pieces saw it as malicious.

Edit:
I actually took a look at the tests. Only couple that matter Avast still did very well. Avast was only 2% under Avira in real world tests and the only real cause for concern is false alarms where Avira had 44 and Avast had like 70.

Last edited:
Yeah but they used to score higher - so quality has gone down since prior years.

well, false positives are a concern to me. mainly because i have to belive what the program tells me.so if t says that a file is corrupten, and it puts it in the anti virus chest, what hapens when my computer needs that file to run a program?

How reputable is AV-Comparitives, anyway? I've seen the reports but I don't really know anything about the organization, itself.

How reputable is AV-Comparitives, anyway? I've seen the reports but I don't really know anything about the organization, itself.

They've been around for quite some time - seems reputable at least since they're an independent tester. I'd have to look into them more to find any details, but the reports they do are fairly comprehensive.

Back
Top Bottom