Install Home Premium with HP key DV6000

Status
Not open for further replies.

M16

In Runtime
Wow its been awhile since I have been here. I have to say I like the new layout!

I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Any who, my cousin bought my old laptop (HP DV6000 with a C2D CPU) and doesn't want all the mass amounts HP software on it because it slows it down and he doesn't use it. I was going to reformat it in tell I saw "HP" right next to the CD key under the laptop. The laptop uses Vista Home Premium and I have a Home Premium CD. I'm probably over thinking this but the reason why I didn't reformat it was because he uses the computer for work and play. For work he scans cars for fault codes that is $90 a pop so I couldn't risk installing my CD and using his CD key to find out it might not work.

If anybody knows if I can install my CD with his HP CD key and have it work like a normal custom built computer? Also, if you could tell me which button to press to get into the BIOS for the screen goes by in 1 second and I don't have enough time to read it without restarting it 10 times.

Any help will be highly appreciated. :)

No it wouldnt work. From what i understand you have a Retail Disk which does NOT work with a OEM serial. So you would have to find a OEM Disk. Could just use PC Decrapifier to remove the HP Stuff. Would be much simplier.

To get into the BIOS why not check the HP site for the documentation. Would be much simplier than us guessing. ;)

No it wouldnt work. From what i understand you have a Retail Disk which does NOT work with a OEM serial. So you would have to find a OEM Disk. Could just use PC Decrapifier to remove the HP Stuff. Would be much simplier.

To get into the BIOS why not check the HP site for the documentation. Would be much simplier than us guessing. ;)

Thanks for the reply Mak.

It is the opposite of what you said. I have a OEM Vista CD and a HP Vista CD key. Will I be able to install Vista with the OEM Vista CD and use the HP CD key?

I will try PC Decrapifier and see if it goes any faster. We both had the laptop for about a year so it needs to be reformatted pretty soon anyway.

Most likely not. As most OEM copies come pre-equipped with Serials already in place and it auto inserts them. I could be wrong but i remember that on my old XP installs. I havent tested a Vista OEM so it might ask you for the serial during the install.

Your best bet if it doesnt would be to install with your OEM and when you get to the desktop right click on Computer and select Properties. There should be the option to change the serial before you activate. Do that and change it to the serial on the laptop and then activate. That should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom