HP 15-ba018wm SD Card Slot 'Issue'

littleefoxx

Baseband Member
I want to go ahead and preface by saying that I'm not really looking for advice to fix this issue, I merely wanted to share it with someone.

I've owned quite a few laptops in my day, and many of them came with a built-in SD card reader. It's a feature that I'm really pleased with, and my current laptop has one.

I put a card in it, and everything functions fine. I can check all the images from my digital camera, files, etc from the default file browser. The problem comes when I try to write, or delete something. I get a message telling me the card is "Write Protected". Initially, I just thought "Well I need to flip the little switch on the card". I pushed it all the way to the top and put it back in the laptop. Same problem, write protected.

After a bit of trial and error, I figured it out. My laptop's card reader slot actually ENABLES the write protect because some warding inside is pushing against the switch. It barely touches it, doesn't even bring it down halfway. But because of the way it's set up, that's enough to prevent any writing to the disk.

I personally believe this is a manufacturer defect. This is a decent laptop, especially for the price I paid. However the issue with the card reader is the most frustrating thing I've encountered for a long time. This laptop ALSO does not have any sort of service panel. You have to fully disassemble it to even replace the HDD or upgrade the RAM. So disassembly isn't something I want to get into just for a card reader. I've tried using air duster, and even running a paperclip along the sides to try and maybe knock something back into place. All of those things have failed and here I am, a few months later STILL frustrated by this issue.

The card I'm using is a PQI 4GB and it's fairly old, but I have the same issue with Sandisk and generic cards, as well as Micro-SD card adapters.

I basically came here to rant and share my experience with a defect in my machine. However if anyone does have advice, I am listening.

Could try putting a piece of tape over the read-only switch. Or just get an SD->USB adapter.

I don't know why I didn't consider a USB adaper. But Im gonna try the thing with the tape. I used to always have a short in my headphone jack so I would often have to put tape on it to hold the jack in place.

Im gonna try that though, thanks Carnage (even though its kind of a silly thing lol)

Back
Top Bottom