Help needed to play dvds on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: Nevermind, reread first post that said he can play discs if he burns the video file to them.

@(almost)Everyone: It used to work, then it broke. He doesn't need new Codecs or a new Player he needs to fix what broke.

This doesnt account for new codec's when they are released for updated DVD Encryption. Which is why codec packs are updated often to account for the new encryption. Thus allowing the DVD to play again properly. All with the simple install of a codec pack. Of all of the time I have seen this question, 95% of them were just as simple as installing codec packs or updating VLC cause the encryption was newer than the system could handle.

Of all the times less than 5% were anything other than codec which would include hardware or drive failure.

It could also be the DVD Region Coding as well. Which is why I asked. People dont seem to know or understand that if you region code your DVD player that you cant play any and all disks. Which could be the case as well. Just saying "it worked and now it dont" doesnt mean jack. A system just doesnt stop working for no reason.

What was downloaded? What has been installed since it was working? What websites have been gone to? Is it an infection?

So it can be far more than just a dust build up or drive failure. Most of the time it is codecs though which is why everyone jumped there, including myself cause that is the cause more times than not.

First Post you said:
Had my laptop for about a year and 4 months now and all [1] was working fine for a good while but recently its started not playing dvds .. it will how ever play video files fine if i download them and will play dvds that have been burned.

the laptop i have is an acer 5532 windows 7

if any one has any rough idea on how to fix this so it plays dvds again or how why its stopped playing now would be a much appreaciated.

now you say:
installed that codecs thing but doesnt seem to make any difference erm [2] it plays dvds that have been copied and it plays cd's

[3] when you put a dvd into it the laptop cd/dvd tray thing makes a noise like its reading it then it does it for about a minute then comes up with please insert disk...
Do you still need help ?

Part [1] seems to have been resolved by Statement [2]. Part [3] is unclear if the DVD has been formatted ('burned' but blank or 'partitioned' for want of a simpler explanation).

Don't forget to click on the Stars if we have been helpful so we remember to check back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom