Flashing a Dell Notebook Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytoosmall

In Runtime
I am trying to fix a friends Dell M140 Laptop. I am getting blue screens with the pci.sys error. I have replaced the hard drive and ran memtest to confirm the memory is ok. As a final shot in the dark I am wanting to update to the latest bios. You can download the bios but how can I get a version that I can put on a cd and boot to? Windows cannot be installed because the machine blue screens during setup every time. I have read in a few places that the old bios sometimes doesn't react well with the windows xp install disc that isn't slipstreamed with service pack 2. So basically, is there a utility or something out there that I can put on a cd and boot to and install the bios available from Dell's site? Thank you for any help.

Windows/DOS
MX51_A04.EXE
Description: This file format consists of a BIOS executable file. The Universal (Windows/MS DOS) format can be used to install from Windows XP, Windows 2000, NT, Windows 9X, Windows ME or a MS DOS environment.

Source:
Drivers & Downloads

Looks to me like you need to boot into dos with cdrom support and have this file on a cd. Run it from DOS. You can boot into DOS with CDROM support by creating a Windows ME installation disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom