Dv4000 Laptop Problem! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Dv4000 Laptop Problem!

Ok, so this has got to be the weirdest thing ive come accross. I have a HP DV4000 Laptop. In order to get the computer to boot you have to press fairly hard to the left of the mouse pad.
Literally just a random spot on the laptop case, no buttons or anything just hold down on it.

Ive torn it down to peices and taken a magnifying glass and searched and searched for a couple hours now trying to see if something is broken or what. if you press down and get into the bios then let up even the bios freezes but the screen still displays. if you dont press down and try to boot nothing shows on the screen but it still acts like its booting up normally( lights flash, hdd accessed, ect ect)

The mobo is a HannStar J MV-0 and ive searched all over the net and cant even find one to relate to, only the J MV-6 that are totally different...

Intel Centrino 1600 mhz? cant remember, Hannstar board J MV-0, 2 gigs of hynix ram, 80gp hdd.

Any ideas? im STUMPED!

Would it work to take a voltmeter and turn it to beep when connection occurs, and then test stuff on the board? or would that hurt it..........

Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Dv4000 Laptop Problem!

So it doesn't boot up sometimes when turning on?

The button could just be faulty.
Try to check the RAM, run Memtest86+
Is this laptop under warranty still?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It's not the power button thats the problem, you accually have to just press down on the laptop itself in order for it to boot, it will turn on without pressing down on the certain spot but wont display on the screen. and like I said while still pressing down on the "spot" and you enter the bios for instance then let up the bios will freeze. no warranty

I set my profile picture to the laptop spot you have to press down on
Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I have one of those in the house, but I can't think of anything in that region that would cause this issue... It is possible it has overheated at one time, and a joint has broken, and when you press on it, it is reconnected, but when let go, it breaks again...
Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, the old case that I took everything out of and then put into a different one it looked as if it had been dropped pretty hard she had some road rash. soooo its gotta be somthing like a chip somwheres, but like I said ive looked that thing over and over and over

Would the tin sheet metal have anything to do with it ? I dnt know if it all has to be touching for a ground or not. but like the little spring looking things that press onto the heatshield under the keyboard. and then the shield under the motherboard
Old 09-25-2010, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

That tin sheet metal that sticks to the board? Shouldn't it is insulated on both sides, unless you somehow managed to pierce that insulation, but pressing on it, would be causing the sheet metal to hit it.

Can you tell us, does ANY lights light up when the adapter is plugged up? Have you tried running it with out the battery? It sounds as if your model, along with dozens of others from HP, was defective, or had poor cooling and now the motherboard is damaged.

Closed Thread