Compaq Presario CQ60 problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Compaq Presario CQ60 problems

Hi!

I recently bought a new laptop (CQ60) and I've been having two problems. When running Windows Vista, it will from time to time completely lock up and when I restart, it loads about 10s before rebooting. It can do this 1-10 times before getting into "Windows Recovery Tool" and sometimes it'll start immediately after a Recovery and sometimes it takes hours of recoveries. I was first inclined to think "hardware error" - except that when I installed Ubuntu Linux it always boots up perfectly and the only real problem being the mousepad locking up once in a while (about 5% of how often the entire computer hung up in Vista).

So, does anyone here have any ideas why this might be happening? Should I return the computer or upgrade to Win7? Is it software (as it seems to be) or is it hardware (considering the mousepad still has a few problems)?

Old 10-29-2009, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: Compaq Presario CQ60 problems

Could well be a hardware problem, try an external USB mouse and run memtest for a few hours.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 10-29-2009, 05:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks, should've thought about testing with an USB-mouse - but could the mousepad errors be the reason Windows is crashing/locking up on me too?

I'll leave the computer to memtest over the night tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Hardware failures are weird - they don't necessarily have predictable, reproducible or sensible symptoms.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread