Clueless - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Georgia, U.S.
Posts: 1
Default Clueless

I was wanting to get a laptop with this huge bonus I'm recieving from the military. I don't know a thing about building from the ground up but would like to build my laptop rather than just buy one. I've looked at your stickies here but they seem to be for desktops.

I will be using it for basically everything and would like to not need a desktop because my possible laptop would be so rockin. I'm not the kind of person that just wants you to tell me what I should get and I put it together and thats that. I want to learn about what is good, what isn't and really get into the process of building this.

Also, I was wondering if I should even bother with a high end laptop and build a desktop instead... Any help here??

OneTrueCause is offline  
Old 07-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
KSoD's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: Clueless

There are only a couple of sites that will actually let you "build" a laptop. 95% of the time it is just like going to Dell and just choosing your parts. The other 5% are those couple of places that actually let you buy stuff and jsut get a core for a laptop and build it up.

So if you really want power, a desktop would be better. The CPU's in a desktop can be more powerful since they dont have to worry about heat as much. Since there is better cooling available for a desktop. Not to mention graphics. You can get a much better setup for graphics cards with a desktop with the possibility of SLi'ing top end cards over the SLi offers for laptops.

So really it all depends on what you plan on doing with the system.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building a new computer and clueless firestorm6500 New Systems | Building and Buying 4 05-22-2009 07:23 PM
Clueless dad seeks help on a gaming build Soulthunder New Systems | Building and Buying 36 04-02-2009 09:16 PM
i'm clueless about locking a network need some help Drogos Computer Networking and Internet Hardware 9 11-26-2008 08:29 PM
wanting to get wifi but totally clueless dwaynesox Computer Networking and Internet Hardware 3 09-25-2007 04:30 AM
Clueless.... please help create videos! JoAintNoMoFo Microsoft Windows and Software 2 08-22-2007 11:12 AM

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.